Discuss customers......................................... . in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

You know in this day and age with the internet and email me thinks a good idea would be that when you send a quote out for work you lay out exactly what was asked for and also a proviso line that states if the customer
changes there mind or is looking for extras then put it in an email along with the price and send it to them stating that you cannot proceed until they send a confirmation mail.

I know this does not help you but I must admit I got caught out a couple of times when I was installing servicing alarm systems and the sums I was conned out of was £60-£100 bucks so when the customer says are you questioning my honesty you reply no not at all but I need to have a formal agreement to protect both parties most people will say thats fine and the ones who make a living out of shortchanging people will move on to another "sucker" Yes I know its not fair but every day is a school day as far as I am concerned.

dont hold you breath i have just had a judgement to pay me served on a customer.and now if he does'nt pay i must enforce the claim at my cost and he still may not have to pay. the law is in the ******** favour

Last edited by a moderator:
yeh......
ive been getting that from a few people so ..all i can do is go through the motions and hope he'll pay in the end.
ill get a small aamount of pleasure from knowing he's getting hassle.
and in the end its a small village and word will get around.....yes it will...
who knows ccj may hurt a bit.

A previous employer i worked to a few years back had same problem. As i installed the job i had to meet to go over the job. It was supply cable to new chicken shed meterd separately. My instructions were if he fails to pay lift out the meter and c.u. As the shed was full of chickens he couldn`t let power off or the chickens would have suffocated. He panicked and payed there and then when i told him what would happen if he failed. I`ve never had one since went out on my own thankfully.

ok
today i received a letter recorded delivery..
cheque for £600
long letter stating.....
i asked for additional work but you've charged me to much
your print out of costs is to high ie 100m of 6mm t&e and only used 75m.
hours are too many for work done
you have not suppled a test cert
a blank is missing from c u
i will take further advice on the standard of work
here is a cheque for the full and final settelment of works £600
please supply me my cert as soon as poss
ha.........but really

his job is unfinnished and has been energised by him.
he has denied me access to the job to complete and certify
i have shown him proof of parts costing £500
he has added to my works by the additon of a dsso from his welding socket
so...if my work is incomplete because of denied access on his part
and he's declined to pay me the amount invoiced then why would i complete the works?
so if i don't complete the works why do i need to supply a cert...?
any thoughts on this gents..?
if i cash his cheque am i accepting this as final payment?

I would say that unless the cheque is marked on the back as full and final payment then no it can be taken as an installment ensure that letter does not state it either. Point out in writing that he has refused you access repeat the full cost and acknowledge receipt of cheque as part payment.

Check the above out from legal side.

Chris

In which case you have to decide to accept and thats it or try for the complete amount. Best to take legal advice from CAB at the start as its free and see what they say bringing all documentation with you. At least if you did not have a written agreement with him he can no longer deny that he owes you money.

Chris

in the letter he does state..."i send a cheque in full and final settlement for work done"

Have a read of this The Law – ‘Full and final settlement’ - Voltimum UK - Electrical Installation Products and Contracting

It would appear that you can cash his cheque and still carry on and continue to sue for the remainder, as long as you inform him at the time of presenting the cheque or a short time after, that you do not accept it as full and final settlement.

HOWEVER I would not take this as proper legal advice. I echo all the other posters who have advised that you seek correct legal advice, BEFORE you make your next move, AND DO NOT present the cheque until you have clarified your position.

Go get him - use form N1 from the HMCS site, and, assuming judgement is in your favour, each bailiff visit costs £55, which is added to his bill, and, having used this system before, they are tenacious and visit regularly!

Go get him - use form N1 from the HMCS site, and, assuming judgement is in your favour, each bailiff visit costs £55, which is added to his bill, and, having used this system before, they are tenacious and visit regularly!
your veiw of fair play is.............outstanding..sir..........

but.............

your.............
mmmm
do you know the canadian....???

Last edited:

Reply to customers......................................... . in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net