Discuss Cut through Main cable to house, Big bill Recieved Advice Greatly Appreciated in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

They have agreed to drop the charges if I sign a wayleave for the cable. based on what you will actually get per annum on this and it would only be back dated I have snapped their hand off and £1000 of my mind. thanks again to all for the cracking advice.

Great news.I was 90% certain it would go that way, but you never know! The wayleave payment will not make you rich, it's basically just a gentleman's agreement between you and the DNO. I think the DNO will back date the wayleave for a max of 7 years. Every little bit helps as they say.
Good news, just be careful where you dig next time! lol

They have agreed to drop the charges if I sign a wayleave for the cable. based on what you will actually get per annum on this and it would only be back dated I have snapped their hand off and £1000 of my mind. thanks again to all for the cracking advice.
I may have missed something,but for them to ASK for wayleave,and you to give it,they did not have it,when you damaged the cable,so they would struggle to enforce any charges for damage.

I may have missed something,but for them to ASK for wayleave,and you to give it,they did not have it,when you damaged the cable,so they would struggle to enforce any charges for damage.
I think it worked like this..drop charges or get your cable off my land. Cheaper for DNO to drop charges. Plus cable was not deep enough by DNO's standards. DNO were on a sticky wicket.

A good resolution for all concerned as only lawyers would have benefited from you not being able to agree an amicable solution..having said that,the most important lesson is we all need to be aware of mains installed not deep enough.

I think it worked like this..drop charges or get your cable off my land. Cheaper for DNO to drop charges. Plus cable was not deep enough by DNO's standards. DNO were on a sticky wicket.
But,that is accepting they had the provision to press those charges,which quite obviously, they did not. The only reason i'm pedantically harping on about this,is due to the number of times,i have dealt with entities,such as utilities,where they say "If you do X,we won't do Y", where Y,is not an option for them anyway. I will bore you with an example. A friend of mine,had a large feed cable,run across the edge of a piece of land he owned. It went in,800mm deep,in 6 hours,turf back,job done. The ensuing paperwork,stretched out the possible reasons over 2 years. The development (retirement home) was now completed and functioning,and had become the extra excuse for not removing the cable. He could not touch it himself,for various,obvious reasons,BUT,did secure paperwork,requiring stringent terms for allowing further access to the cable,for maintenance etc. I will not go into details,but the cable got "damaged",and the turn-out and subsequent document waving,resulted in the following; One emergency supply,One newly installed supply through adjacent,LA owned land,One original supply,tagged and exposed at each end,ready to be removed. Which i assisted in the doing of...On the day,it looked and sounded like someone was going to Shawshank,in the end,everyone concerned,just had drawers full of tetchy letters...:conehead:

But,that is accepting they had the provision to press those charges,which quite obviously, they did not. The only reason i'm pedantically harping on about this,is due to the number of times,i have dealt with entities,such as utilities,where they say "If you do X,we won't do Y", where Y,is not an option for them anyway. I will bore you with an example. A friend of mine,had a large feed cable,run across the edge of a piece of land he owned. It went in,800mm deep,in 6 hours,turf back,job done. The ensuing paperwork,stretched out the possible reasons over 2 years. The development (retirement home) was now completed and functioning,and had become the extra excuse for not removing the cable. He could not touch it himself,for various,obvious reasons,BUT,did secure paperwork,requiring stringent terms for allowing further access to the cable,for maintenance etc. I will not go into details,but the cable got "damaged",and the turn-out and subsequent document waving,resulted in the following; One emergency supply,One newly installed supply through adjacent,LA owned land,One original supply,tagged and exposed at each end,ready to be removed. Which i assisted in the doing of...On the day,it looked and sounded like someone was going to Shawshank,in the end,everyone concerned,just had drawers full of tetchy letters...:conehead:

Preferable to having your drawers full of tetchy ants or black widow spiders.

I cant be bothered reading any further, as there seems to be some support for the DNO's here. Eng 54 has it bang on, these cables should be "buried to a depth that precludes disturbance from reasonable activities", for example digging a cartload of horse ****e into your rose-beds. Why should we have to work to proper standards when DNO's can get away with shoving unprotected cables across peoples gardens at stupid depths?????

I cant be bothered reading any further, as there seems to be some support for the DNO's here. Eng 54 has it bang on, these cables should be "buried to a depth that precludes disturbance from reasonable activities", for example digging a cartload of horse ****e into your rose-beds. Why should we have to work to proper standards when DNO's can get away with shoving unprotected cables across peoples gardens at stupid depths?????
Please don't include me in that cheer-leading group...:icon12:

Reply to Cut through Main cable to house, Big bill Recieved Advice Greatly Appreciated in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net