Discuss Danger notice? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Got a call from a customer, electrician has condemmed the electrics and they wanted a second opinion.
Got on site and apparently there was a fault on the lighting circuit, the electrician they called out said it was dangerous and unscrewed all the light fittings and and just snipped the wires leaving bare cables poking out of the ceiling.
He left saying that they will sent them a quote for a rewire and the work that needed to be done.
As all the light fittings has been cut off I am unable to test the lighting circuit for the fault.
Personally I would just disconnect the lighting circuit from the CU and remove the fuse wire as it's rewireable fuse.
I haven't been in this game long and I've never issued a danger notice, but isn't this a bit extreme??
What would be the best way to condem the electrics?

Mate!? are you blind?
Everyone else on this forum can see what is going on here except you it seems?
The guy who came and cut all the wires probably had Domonic Littleman hot on his heels. This isn't a bit extreme. This is robbery, its the exact kind of thing you see on rogue traders. Cut all the wires wtf? so instead of being given the option of having a rewire they dont need, they are forced to have one? Not sure what the police would do about something like this, they're pretty useless when it comes to anything other than making people clean up p*ss, but the guy should be in a cage, no doubt.

Last edited by a moderator:
it's nothing short of criminal damage. thought i was onto a rogue last week who, instead of finding a fault on a RFC that was tripping the MCB ( old board, circa 1970 ) quoted £670+vat for a new CU ( niceic member). but this one takes the proverbial for sheer daylight robbery.

I was speachless once before on this forum..........Make that twice !

Its been a while since we had the pitchforks out, I'm praying its another Electrical Trainee or we are all doomed.....

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, what was the initial lighting fault for, what type of wiring is it and is there a cpc? Have these cowboys left any written documentation or given reasons for their actions?

I'd be careful what I'd advise her (this claim culture etc!) but perhaps informally tell her to
View this thread
Contact trading standards
Contact scheme provider (if applicable)
Contact Citizens Advice
Contact Solicitors, and never contact that cowboy outfit again other than through a solicitor.

The customer was about to move into this rented property and was in the process of decorating it, her friends boyfriend is a spark but not part P tried to change the light fitting and got a big bang from it (her words not mine).
Thats when they call out this electrical company.
The guy just left a sheet of paper with all the work that needed to be carried out but no reason why he removed all the light fittings. There was a CPC on the lighting circuit.
I did put in a realistic price for the work but not expecting a call as the landlord wants a cheap job, I'm happy to walk away from it.
I don't think there's any point of nameing and shameing as the installation cannot be tested, there is no way of finding and proving the original fault.

So the fault only appeared when the boyfriend changed the light fitting, mmm seen a few of those !! red/black switch wires spring to mind ! this NIC company then deemed that each section of the radial was faulty ! that each switch drop was faulty !
call the police the army and the navy - I would love to see this Nic company explain why they did what they did, maybe you could contact them and ask them to contribute to the forum, maybe we could all learn something from this !

Martin

Doesn't matter if the original fault cannot be tested, doesn't matter what the original fault was nothing would deem it appropiate to go round cutting all the light fittings out and leaving the installation like that and then with no proper testing or report as to say why it needs a re-wire, they need reporting now, how many other houses are they doing this to on a daily basis?? what if it ws an old lady on her own? this is absolutley disgusting, and if you dont do something about it then you need to report it to someone who will

No point naming and shaming them??? Really??!! Are you just going to let them do this to other people? This needs sorting sharpish. Daz

'All that is required for cowboys to flourish is professionals to do nothing.'

I don't mean to sound too harsh but if you don't report, name them and shame them then you are aiding them in their 'work' IMHO.

This ones obvious. Her freinds boyfreind the spark, not being part P and all, obviously didn't know the one about not sticking the black switch live in with the black neutrals (why would he?) I've seen it a few times, If I'd been told that story I'm pretty sure I'd had it fixed in 10 mins 50 quid please lovely, thanks.
NIC company as well, oh dear, post the company name on this forum, pleeeaaase....

This isn't rough work, bad practice, overcharging etc (I personally wouldn't grass someone up for any of these unless it was mega dangerous) its holding someone to ransom.....

Reply to Danger notice? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net