Discuss Depth of chase in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

another house im working on at the moment, plumber was there today, he was just going when I arrived.

he has put some pipes in, but to be honest I think he has gone a bit in the deep side, I said to the customer it looks a bit deep, he brought it up.

Basically its 9" brick, and has taken a brick height out and a full brick dept h in most place, it's about 1200mm long the chase.

Its 50% of the thickness of the wall, I have emaile a copy of Approved a Document A to the customer and s bit out the OSG.

i said to him if question it with the plumber, ask him why it's so deep and then ask him if he is familiar with Document A. I dont want to poke my nose in but did say it's potentially weaker the wall as there two stories.

whats your thoughts?

he cod have just put a joint in and made it more flush with the surface.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

I think he must have read the 1/6th wall thickness as 60% of the wall thickness.
Not quite sure why he has gone so deep, the incoming pipework is surface so why not run this surface as well.
Is it planned that this pipework is going to be sealed into the wall?
If the wall were to be filled with mortar then this may restore some strength back.
Overall I do not think it will actually affect the wall in toto as it is only for 1m and a lot of a wall can be taken away before it falls, but this is a bit OTT and cannot be safe.

Wind your neck in and leave the other trades be.
Or carry on going behind their back telling tales but don't complain when they've chopped your cables off or put other deliberate faults into your work!

Wind your neck in and leave the other trades be.
Or carry on going behind their back telling tales but don't complain when they've chopped your cables off or put other deliberate faults into your work!

Id rather keep out of it, but the customer raised concerns over it so just provided them with the appropriate documents to look at.

i think it's way to deep and could have been put in shallower.

i did stress to them that their house wasn't going to fall down.

looking at the pics all I see is most of the energy to heat the house up is warming the brickwork ... forget all the other problems
this is a poor design full stop.

It may just be a new form of cavity wall insulation!!

That is brutal demolition,and,unless agreed by customer,is basic vandalism. There are several ways to achieve what has been attempted there,and if he did not know or suggest them,he is short of training...If he had been on a job under my control,my brickie would be levying a tax on him about now...

You see similar and worse every week...witnessed a "plasterer" bringing a customers kitchen wall out from 1" at one end,and 6" at the other! ...that's 150mm of browning,for some optimistic kitchen fitter to fix his cupboards to... See sparkies doing as bad...

I was raised to have pride in every task,even brush,barrow,shovel...very sad...gonner jack it,and start selling knitted toy owls,on the local market...:kiss:

From your photos there is no electrical wiring/equipment involved, so if there is any issue, its not your problem.

If the customer says to the plumber that the electrician told me your chases are too deep, not only will you upset the plumber, he could tell other people - that electrician dropped me in it.

there might just be enough room in that chase for a plumber's corpse.

Reply to Depth of chase in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net