Discuss Dimplex panel heater wiring in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Richard,

I have seen that on the dimplex website but I just don't understand what it means sorry.

Would that hat mean no wiring from each panel heater to the four zone central controller at all? (As it is sent wirelessly?)
Or that you only need to do the standard twin and earth wiring? If that is the case I imagine you would need to damage walls so why wouldn't you just do the pilot wire at the same time?

Hi Chris,

Thanks for all your detailed information, The radiator sizes have been specified from dimplex so hopefully they are ok, it is only a flat the bedrooms are quite small and they did say 2 radiators in the living room. But I am thinking of installing 1kw in bedrooms to be on the safe side. Hopefully that will be ok.

Regards
Laurence

You had storage heaters in place that presumably were connected to the power supply by wires, if you transfer this power supply from E7 to 24hr at your fuse box then you use these cables to power the new heaters, without ripping out the old cables or installing new ones, fit a receiver cassette in each heater and place a controller in a suitable place (this may need new cabling depending on location), sycnhronise the heaters to the controller and program the settings you want.
I am afraid if this does not make sense then I cannot manage to explain any further.

Richard,

I have seen that on the dimplex website but I just don't understand what it means sorry.

Would that hat mean no wiring from each panel heater to the four zone central controller at all? (As it is sent wirelessly?)
Or that you only need to do the standard twin and earth wiring? If that is the case I imagine you would need to damage walls so why wouldn't you just do the pilot wire at the same time?

Hi Chris,

Thanks for all your detailed information, The radiator sizes have been specified from dimplex so hopefully they are ok, it is only a flat the bedrooms are quite small and they did say 2 radiators in the living room. But I am thinking of installing 1kw in bedrooms to be on the safe side. Hopefully that will be ok.

Regards
Laurence

"Hello again Laurence",

For a Heating Engineer to correctly calculate the Heat Loss requirements of your Flat they would need to know at least:

Exact details about most of the items that I mentioned in my previous message:

The Wall construction and orientation - the Floor construction - the Sizes of the Rooms including Ceiling Heights - how many outside Walls in the Rooms - what type of Windows and any large Window areas - plus Roof construction IF your Flat is on the top floor.

ALL of these things affect the Heat Loss from your Home and the Calculations need to be carried out correctly - IF Dimplex have carried out a detailed Survey of these items at your Flat they may well get the calculations correct - IF NOT they may be `Calculating` using the wrong parameters.

I have nothing against Dimplex - I have some of their portable Thermostatic Fan Heaters [1 - 2 or 3 KW output Thermostatically controlled - plus timer if needed] for Emergency Heating in case I ever have my Home`s Heating System not working - or for `One Off` use to take the chill out of a Room when the Heating System is not required.

They are Excellent Electrical Appliances I would not buy any other Electric Heater.

I know them to be a `World Renowned` Electric Heating Company - You should be able to trust their Heat Loss Calculations.

IF You have a New Build Flat / Built in the last 10 Years - You may have a VERY well Insulated / Draft Proof / Good Double Glazed Home - which would have significantly lower Heat Losses than an older property.

But IF they have not been to your Flat or do not know the Construction of the Walls and all of the other items that I mentioned they MAY be calculating your Flats Heat Requirements using the latest Building Regulations parameters.

I.E: For a Building which is EXTREMELY Well Insulated with the latest specification Double Glazing and perhaps `Heat Recovery Ventilation`.

IF that is the case then You might be disappointed with the Panel Heaters performance in Winter / Very Cold weather.

As You mentioned that the Bedrooms are not particularly large Rooms I hope that You do get Panel Heaters with outputs that suit the Heat requirements of those Rooms - but they would have to be very small Rooms or VERY well Insulated to require only 0.75kw [2559 BTU`s].

Good Luck with the installation.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:

Reply to Dimplex panel heater wiring in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net