Discuss Do i need to bond an oil fired boiler? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I'm about to do an mains change later this week, and unsure if i need to bond the oil fired boiler or not. Its a bosch worcester greenstar, installed around 2 years ago. From the outside plastic oil tank theres an copper pipe running 4/5 meters undergroundto the house. The boiler is getting its water supply from a a joint near the stopcock as an estimate this pipe work is 2 meters, then feeding the radiators the pipe work leaves as plastic likewise for the ho****er. somewhere all this plastic pipe work is joined to copper pipes. Do i need to bond this? and if so where? I've never had anything to do with oil fired boilers before. Also this is on a tt system unsure if that makes any difference

cheers

I'm about to do an mains change later this week, and unsure if i need to bond the oil fired boiler or not. Its a bosch worcester greenstar, installed around 2 years ago. From the outside plastic oil tank theres an copper pipe running 4/5 meters underground to the house. The boiler is getting its water supply from a a joint near the stopcock as an estimate this pipe work is 2 meters, then feeding the radiators the pipe work leaves as plastic likewise for the ho****er. somewhere all this plastic pipe work is joined to copper pipes. Do i need to bond this? and if so where? I've never had anything to do with oil fired boilers before. Also this is on a tt system unsure if that makes any difference

cheers

Is the oil line insulated in plastic sheathing or is the copper exposed to the earth at any point???

Obviously the water service should be bonded to earth at point of entry or nearest practical point.

i'd be inclined to bond the buried oil pipe at point of entry into the house, on the assumption that it can introduce an earth potential into the house.

it's got to be exposed somewhere. it goes to the boiler.

the pipe goes directly through the wall and im not 100% certain of being able to get to it, ill have to see when i get there, if not i dont like this idea but can i put the clamp on the bit of pipe work outside?

You've got a copper pipe in the ground coming into the house, I think like Tel it would be best to bond as this is where the potential could be introduced.

If it's an extraneous conductive part it must be bonded. (411.3.1.2) And look at note 3 page 27 OSG. As the others say if it can bring a potential in it must bonded.

You do need to bond the oil pipe.

If you can get to the right hand side of the boiler you may be able to see the oil pipe coming in, sheathed in white. If not youll have to do it outside. Not ideal but its what I usually do with these as you cant get to the oil pipe without taking the boiler to bits.

You do need to bond the oil pipe.

If you can get to the right hand side of the boiler you may be able to see the oil pipe coming in, sheathed in white. If not youll have to do it outside. Not ideal but its what I usually do with these as you cant get to the oil pipe without taking the boiler to bits.

Also.

There should be an exposed flame arrester and a filter somewhere too, should'nt be too bad to do. (unless they are different now , long time since I've done one.)

bit concerned you cant see any white sheathing, make sure you don't see any solder joins in the pipework, this is a huge no no and against OFTEC regulations (oil version of big red/green book), in the event of a fire you can imagine what will happen to the solder joints and the result when a pipe carrying kerosene ruptures in the midst of a fire, worth a look.

Reply to Do i need to bond an oil fired boiler? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net