Discuss Earth Bonding In A Bathroom in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

ChrisElectrical88

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

I'm reasonably confident if Emma Shaw was still alive she would be less than pleased to hear that comment.
Awful read that 😔. Wonder if that was a factor in RCDs to all circuits Buried less than 50mm in the building fabric coming in not long after? Shows the importance of IR testing.

Aico 3000
telectrix

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Awful read that 😔. Wonder if that was a factor in RCDs to all circuits Buried less than 50mm in the building fabric coming in not long after? Shows the importance of IR testing.
but that wouldnot have identified the fault as the metal rack was fitted after the installation had been completed., and the fault was not there before.

nicebutdim

nicebutdim

-
but that wouldnot have identified the fault as the metal rack was fitted after the installation had been completed., and the fault was not there before.
That was a different case - the linked story involved cable damage at the time of construction, which had subsequently been certified as safe.

telectrix

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
That was a different case - the linked story involved cable damage at the time of construction, which had subsequently been certified as safe.
mybad. mixed up the 2. however, in the emma case, it seems that the fault was from cable to encosed metal stud that was not earthed/bonded. so a IR test would not pick it up.

I

Intoelectrics

-
Esteemed
Arms
My advice, as per other posts, get a proper electrician in to do an EICR and mention also the problem you experienced during the flood. Installing supplementary bonding will not solve the issue, (and as stated, may potentially make it more dangerous) the fault will still remain.
Speculating on what or not what it could be is no help to you. Over the years Most of us experienced sparks have come across similar faults before , (I know I have) and the faults have been identified as the same or similar to each of all the above mentioned so far, so yours could be anyone of them or something entirely different.

I would also recommend a consumer unit upgrade, modern consumer unit devices offer much better protection.

freddo

freddo

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
however, in the emma case, it seems that the fault was from cable to encosed metal stud that was not earthed/bonded. so a IR test would not pick it up.
Indeed, even if you carefully followed every detail in guidance note 3 the defect would go unnoticed.

Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Reply to Earth Bonding In A Bathroom in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Top Bottom