Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Advertisement - Content continues below

Discuss Earth Rods in TN-C-S and TN-S in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Yes the readings are from the Rod to Earth with the lead disconnected from the Panel using a dedicated tester, there are also certain requirements for putting in multiple earth rods.

Aico 3000 Range

davesparks

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Yes the readings are from the Rod to Earth with the lead disconnected from the Panel using a dedicated tester, there are also certain requirements for putting in multiple earth rods.
The tester doesn't have to be a designated earth electrode tester, it can be a multi-function tester which has no single designated purpose.
Not all test methods require the rods to be disconnected.

Bear in mind we are discussing American regs here so UK rules don't apply,

Oh all right then, does not have to be a dedicated tester, but does have to have the right settings, the only way to get a correct reading of the earth rod resistance is to disconnect it from the panel, use the voltage and potential extra rods at 25M and 50% and connect it up to the correct type of reading tester, take readings at that setting, then move the centre rod 2M either side and take two more readings, then find the average of each reading and this will be the true earth resistance of the earth rod, and that does not make a jot of difference if it's in the USA the UK or mainland Europe, but does make a difference if its' been raining.

And bear in mind that on my first post I was comparing the requirements in France.

davesparks

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Oh all right then, does not have to be a dedicated tester, but does have to have the right settings, the only way to get a correct reading of the earth rod resistance is to disconnect it from the panel, use the voltage and potential extra rods at 25M and 50% and connect it up to the correct type of reading tester, take readings at that setting, then move the centre rod 2M either side and take two more readings, then find the average of each reading and this will be the true earth resistance of the earth rod, and that does not make a jot of difference if it's in the USA the UK or mainland Europe, but does make a difference if its' been raining.

And bear in mind that on my first post I was comparing the requirements in France.
That is not the only possible method of testing, and I believe the method you have described is incirrect for a 3 wire fall of potential test, but I would need to get the books out to confirm.

Yes so would I, but I think it's pretty close, the post was just off the top of my head and could be slightly off.

Aico Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Reply to Earth Rods in TN-C-S and TN-S in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Top Bottom