Discuss Economy 9 Meter / Consumer Unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

It gets a bit more interesting. It seems like the off peak labelled section of the fuse box has no neutral and nothing connected to either fuse:

With my limited knowledge, all I can guess now is everything is connected to the "heating" circuit?

(and I still need to query with EDF the times the meter thinks it should be honouring that as off peak, rather than peak).

So if the boiler is capable of drawing peak and off peak rates, it must mean the entire circuit (including sockets) are already on "heating" circuit right?

And the "power circuit" is basically not in use here.

Sorry I don't know what you mean but looking at the picture everything to the right of where it says cylinder has nothing connected to it so your power for everything is coming from the big red switch at the left hand end and presumably on one rate

EDF say I have two circuits. A "heating" circuit and a "power" circuit.

Both are capable of going peak and off peak, but at differing times.

From this, it looks like everything is on the same circuit, EDF would have no way of knowing what was drawing power..

Yes it looks like everything is running from the peak supply, nothing is connected to the off peak side of that board from what I can see

Not a very safe setup. A four core SWA cable is used: Yellow-earth red-live peak blue-live off peak black-neutral for both peak and off peak. If there were circuits on the off peak side and someone switched off the peak main switch, everything would appear dead but the off peak circuits and the neutrals on the peak circuits would all be live during off peak times. A 3 pole main switch should have been installed to switch both lives and neutral, or the incoming neutral split with a suitable connection block and then connected to both main switches.

The whole setup is a mess and it appears the heating system peak and off peak wiring is incorrectly configured. I'd highly recommend hiring the services of an electrician who understands electric heating systems to check it through carefully and install it properly.

Is there any way to tell what circuit everything is being fed by?

Both are active permanently, they just switch rates depending on (differing) times of day. I'm never up late enough to run experiments in the early hours!

Also, as the black neutral is xonly connected to the left hand and not the right, is it even possible to use the off peak in its current state?

Last edited:

Reply to Economy 9 Meter / Consumer Unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net