Discuss ECP's in Prefab Concrete Outbuilding- Damp Concrete? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Advice required from the more experienced and knowledgeable.
Has anyone installed power to one of these prefab concrete garages with a steel roof structure, steel clamps (on concrete panels), steel door mechanism and damp concrete floor?
My conundrum is that I intend on upgrading the current install in the garage to incorporate a small CU for a 32 Ring Final and a 6 amp Lighting circuit. I want to use this for a forthcoming assessment with a scheme provider, so I need to be 100%.
On initial investigation, it was apparent there were no obvious Extreneous Conductive Parts. Hence, as it is a short run of 25m, I was planning to utilise the TNC(S) at the house and run 6mm SWA from a 45 amp MCB to a small 3 way CU with an upfront 40 amp 30mA RCD. However, as a precaution, I thought it best to check the metal structure's resistance to the disconnected main earth by conducting an IR test at 500V using my wander lead. Here's the problem I was getting readings lower than 10kohms.
Perhaps the steel bolts holding the clamps are touching the steel rebars in the concrete, which in turn is damp, through the damp concrete base to the soil.
Has anyone worked a way around this before?
I know my options in extending the equipotential zone or installing a TT at the outbuilding, and I'm inclined towards the TT due to the damp concrete. However, even with a TT, bonding is still likely required, and I don't like the idea of bonding the steel roof structure of a coated steel roof or am I overthinking this?

Your 30mA RCD in the garage will need to be rated higher than the over current protective device supplying it from the house which isn't the case from what you've said.
As for bonding, is the whole building steel framed, ie. is the frame bolted to the ground, or is it just the roof which is steel?
Either way I'd be inclined to bond it.

Thanks,
The whole building isn't steel-framed, just the roof supports it's reinforced concrete only to the base with the exception of the garage door. My typo - the MCB at the Main CU will be 40amp.

Reply to ECP's in Prefab Concrete Outbuilding- Damp Concrete? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock