Discuss Eicr requested after consumer unit replacement in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have replaced consumer unit in small rented property, on pre visit found everything fine. Replaced,tested all the circuits, all sound, issued eic.

For letting agency eic is not enough, Eicr is due now, and they wouldn't accepr Eic instead, are they right?

Thanks ;)

I have replaced consumer unit in small rented property, on pre visit found everything fine. Replaced,tested all the circuits, all sound, issued eic.

For letting agency eic is not enough, Eicr is due now, and they wouldn't accepr Eic instead, are they right?

Thanks ;)
IET Best practice guide recommends an EICR Prior to CU replacement. Perhaps you missed that one.

They are wrong, you have complied with the requirements of the wirkng regulations.

The lettings agent doesn't understand the wirkng regulations, all they know is that there are new rules requiring rented properties to have EICRs therfore all they know is that they need an EICR.
[automerge]1597344880[/automerge]
IET Best practice guide recommends an EICR Prior to CU replacement. Perhaps you missed that one.

Can you provide a link or other reference for that?

It's irrelevant though, lettings agencies don't enforce IET guidance!

They are wrong, you have complied with the requirements of the wirkng regulations.

The lettings agent doesn't understand the wirkng regulations, all they know is that there are new rules requiring rented properties to have EICRs therfore all they know is that they need an EICR.
[automerge]1597344880[/automerge]

Can you provide a link or other reference for that?

It's irrelevant though, lettings agencies don't enforce IET guidance!
its my thinking exactly.

Why not just give them both if you feel you have enough information

Whether you deceide you need to charge additionally for it is down to you as you have no obligation to produce an eicr for a consumer unit change unless agreed before hand

Why not just give them both if you feel you have enough information

Whether you deceide you need to charge additionally for it is down to you as you have no obligation to produce an eicr for a consumer unit change unless agreed before hand
its not about that extra paper work, its about proving they are wrong. if they are wrong

its not about that extra paper work, its about proving they are wrong. if they are wrong

You are required to issue eic for board change

Big question is........have they paid you yet?

If not just issue eicr and get paid move on

If youve been paid give them a lesson in the electrical certification process lol

No, he shouldn't be doing that unless he gets paid to do it.

He carried out the work and issued the correct EIC to certify the work, that is all he had to do.
in this case i have to satisfy agency, or prove they are wrong, owner is my old client, he also thinks its bs. I would prefer they are wrong :D:D

You are required to issue eic for board change

Big question is........have they paid you yet?

If not just issue eicr and get paid move on

If youve been paid give them a lesson in the electrical certification process lol
You are also advised to do an EICR Prior to board change.

They are wrong, they need education. Whilst I agree with aforementioned post that relevant rest & Inspection would have been carried out by you prior to board change, to satisfy the job requirements, this did not constitute an EICR unless this was requested & you have complied with regs. Stick to your guns, if they want an EICR, someone has to pay for it.

Re. Doing an eicr before board change.

Doing it this way in a perfect world would help greatly

I have found that it just really complicates things on the quoting phase and the customer would just get someone else, maybe its the way i explain it though lol

I usually find a reasonably thourough on site survey when quoting is easier for me and if i do get caught out just swallow it

I do allow for it if i think problems might be apparent

However i always undertake
Ze
Ins/res between l-e/n-e
Check positions of gas/water services
Check a good few switchpoints and sockets
Look out for additions and diy add ons

Ive been pretty on the money so far

If it seemed like a diy enthusiast or a few reg flags then i would insist on eicr first but mostly wouldnt

Thanks ;)

What is the reason for this now being due ?

its all ok guys, most of you answers are quite obvious to me, but taking into account landlords rules, are they allowed to keep eic (board change, no comments, installation sound, inspected and tested) in records instead of eicr that is due?
[automerge]1597347298[/automerge]
What is the reason for this now being due ?
eicr due to 5 years period, consumer unit swap due to being plastic, faulty rcd, cracked case and generally client scared of fires..

Reply to Eicr requested after consumer unit replacement in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net