Discuss EICR what code for inaccessible socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Well there is that but how about using the switch as isolation.

Yes and no.

For operational switching yes, but for true isolation, no.

Just the same as TN-C-S etc, isolation means disconnection of all live conductors - so no one should work on portable appliances etc whilst still plugged in even if switched off.

Yes and no.

For operational switching yes, but for true isolation, no.

Just the same as TN-C-S etc, isolation means disconnection of all live conductors - so no one should work on portable appliances etc whilst still plugged in even if switched off.

Julie. said:
In fact, a socket outlet is considered suitable for isolation.

I was led to believe that TN doesn't need DP, so for TN it would be ok.
But was wondering how that's going to work on a TT where you require DP and the socket outlet is SP.

As set out in table 537.4

Last edited:
Julie. said:
In fact, a socket outlet is considered suitable for isolation.

I was led to believe that TN doesn't need DP, so for TN it would be ok.
But was wondering how that's going to work on a TT where you require DP and the socket outlet is SP.

As set out in table 537.4
A socket outlet is DP because when you un-plug you disconnect both line and neutral.

Isolation is therefore achieved for both live conductors irrespective of TT or any TNx arrangement.

A socket outlet is DP because when you un-plug you disconnect both line and neutral.

Isolation is therefore achieved for both live conductors irrespective of TT or any TNx arrangement.
I get that obviously if you disconnect the item entirely it's isolated, but they don't say unplug, they say switch.

Isolation: 537.2​

Every circuit / installation must be provided with a method of isolation from the supply. This isolation device should also be provided with a method to prevent unintentional or inadvertent reinstating (usually lockable).

In a TN-S or TN-C-S system it is not necessary to isolate / switch the neutral conductor providing that it is ‘reliably’ connected to Earth on the distributors incoming supply side.

It’s worth remembering that semiconductor devices can not be used as isolating devices.

Switching off for mechanical maintenance: 537.3​

Mechanical maintenance is work that does not involve exposure to electrical connections. As such this work is often undertaken by ‘ordinary persons’.

Examples: Cleaning, adjusting or replacing parts of a machine. Replacing lamps in a fluorescent light.

Isolating devices must be able to SWITCH the full load current and should be local to the equipment. More often than not the main isolating device is also used for mechanical maintenance for machinery as it’s close by and lockable. Other devices may be used such as, fused connection units, double pole switches and plugs and sockets.

Last edited:
I get that obviously if you disconnect the item entirely it's isolated, but they don't say unplug, they say switch.

Isolation: 537.2​

Every circuit / installation must be provided with a method of isolation from the supply. This isolation device should also be provided with a method to prevent unintentional or inadvertent reinstating (usually lockable).

In a TN-S or TN-C-S system it is not necessary to isolate / switch the neutral conductor providing that it is ‘reliably’ connected to Earth on the distributors incoming supply side.

It’s worth remembering that semiconductor devices can not be used as isolating devices.

Switching off for mechanical maintenance: 537.3​

Mechanical maintenance is work that does not involve exposure to electrical connections. As such this work is often undertaken by ‘ordinary persons’.

Examples: Cleaning, adjusting or replacing parts of a machine. Replacing lamps in a fluorescent light.

Isolating devices must be able to SWITCH the full load current and should be local to the equipment. More often than not the main isolating device is also used for mechanical maintenance for machinery as it’s close by and lockable. Other devices may be used such as, fused connection units, double pole switches and plugs and sockets.

Look at table 537.4 in detail,

It has an entry for switched sockets, they are suitable for functional switching and isolation.

Then look at the entry for UNSWITCHED sockets, once again they are suitable for BOTH functional switching and isolation.

So if indeed isolation can only be achieved by switches, this could not be possible!

You can provide isolation via disconnection (where circumstances allow)

A standard bs1363 plug and socket can be disconnected under load by pulling the plug out - I think it is covered in one of the notes associated with table 537.4

In fact the suitability of sockets is noted as the last part of your extract:

"Other devices may be used such as, fused connection units, double pole switches and plugs and sockets."

From memory the cable comes through wall from bathroom (or maybe down from ceiling) and runs along inside wall of airing cupboard, fixed to wall by clips, then into power shower pump. So not subject to movement or rubbing
It could be a temperature issue with the cable and being suitable for the environment if it gets hot in there so maybe a comment about I higher temp tolerant cable (like flex) but id not c2 it

Yes I have a massive piano - organ totally unmovable and due an electrical inspection and was worried and looked for an answer and glad I found it here. I imagine I won't get an answer as thread too old but can you mdo an inspection and leave out a couple of sockets? One in each room that are basically inaccessible due to another massive filing cabinet (full!)
Yes totally. Just make sure its explained in the report. You're not a furniture mover! Manual handling etc!

Reply to EICR what code for inaccessible socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net