Discuss Where can you put sockets in a Utility Room in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Rednblack

DIY
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have recently had an extension built with a new Utility room. The electrician has put the sockets for the washing machine and tumble dryer in the cupboard under the sink.
This is fine, except the tumble dryer lead does not reach and is currently plugged in via an extension lead.
I asked the electrician to move the sockets, but he says he is unable to because of legislation and the extension lead will be fine as it has a cut out on it.
In my kitchen, which was done 10 years ago, a single socket was put behind the washing machine and isolation switch above the worktop, which would work perfectly.
Is there any reason why my electrician cannot do this? I am a little worried plugging a tumble dryer into an extension lead plus the possiblilty of water from leaks finding its way to the plug.

Thanks in advance

You sure can put a single socket behind the TD and put a swi spur above the worktop to turn it on/off

Some of the purest will say you have 2 fuses in series but in reality that doesn't make a jot of difference in this instance

Am extension lead is a bit DIY but again it will work and is cheaper than paying to have a new socket installed

Did you ask what legislation he/she was referring to? There are guidelines and standards that have to be adhered to and special locations, things like bath rooms etc require extra measures and have more restrictions for electrical services, though a utility room doesn't generally come under this category.

There maybe other reasons why the electrician refused to move/add sockets. You could get a second opinion from another spark?

sockets can't sometimes be behind these appliances as space may be limited, and then you can't push the bloody dryer into position. under trhe sink is fine. a waterleak can come from anywhere. however, the use of an extension lead is bad pracrtice. cheap imports usually burn out with anything more power hungry than a phone charger.

Thanks for your replies, which generally confirm what I was thinking. I haven't actually had chance to speak to him yet, but he told my partner this and she didn't argue as she wasn't to know.
Ok, so to minimise work and cutting out already plastered walls, if I asked him to put a socket behind the washing machine (there is plenty of room) could he then locate the isolation switch in the cupboard rather than above the worktop?

Thanks for your replies, which generally confirm what I was thinking. I haven't actually had chance to speak to him yet, but he told my partner this and she didn't argue as she wasn't to know.
Ok, so to minimise work and cutting out already plastered walls, if I asked him to put a socket behind the washing machine (there is plenty of room) could he then locate the isolation switch in the cupboard rather than above the worktop?
Yes you could pop a swi spur in the cupboard and run some mini trunking to a new single socket behind the TD

I wouldn’t locate sockets behind washing machines/dryers if I can help it. They are a pain to get at when needed and seen a few melted into the back of the appliances!

That’s if there is actually enough space to push the appliance back once they are fitted.

Wherever they are fitted is usually a bit of a compromise imo.

I wouldn’t locate sockets behind washing machines/dryers if I can help it. They are a pain to get at when needed and seen a few melted into the back of the appliances!

That’s if there is actually enough space to push the appliance back once they are fitted.

Wherever they are fitted is usually a bit of a compromise imo.
I think there is enough room, if you look at the picture....it's got to be a better solution than an extension lead, wouldn't you agree?

Attachments

• DSC_2100.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 36
Only legislation I can think of is zoning, the new position would need to be at same height on same wall, or above or below an existing socket, what he can't do is go diagonally from one socket to the new socket

Only legislation I can think of is zoning, the new position would need to be at same height on same wall, or above or below an existing socket, what he can't do is go diagonally from one socket to the new socket
Can be outside zones if surface wired.

That’s twice he’s done it this week.

Getting close to Halloween, the old boy is trying to raise the dead.
Stuck in this hospital bed, bored ,what do you expect, apart from raising Jocks from their peat bogs and single malts??_

Thanks for yo
Just had to ask…. What’s you doing in hospital? Bit old to be having the snippity-snip snip?

ur replies, which generally confirm what I was thinking. I haven't actually had chance to speak to him yet, but he told my partner this and she didn't argue as she wasn't to know.

Just had to ask…. What’s you doing in hospital? Bit old to be having the snippity-snip snip? more than 1 issue. Been leg pains worsening over past few years till I not been able to walk .. 2 different sources. .1.knee joint .onset of osteoarthritis.
2.horrendous pain from foot meeting up with #1
Then to top that. A hernia I've had for several years as just a nuisance decides to swell up to size of a melon and adds to the other pains. Also had fluid build up causing legs to swell.might be this that,s causing the hernia to swell. Both responding to treatment with some IV drippy but the £64,000 question is whether the benefit of hernia Op outweighs the risks of anasthtic .got to have heart scans and ecg in next few days. Surgeons checking golf course availability and weather

Last edited:

Reply to Where can you put sockets in a Utility Room in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net