Discuss Electric Immersion Tank + Thermostat in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The reason behind the new safety cutout is that people have died due to tanks boiling over and venting back into the plastic header tank, which subsequently melts and dumps gallons of scalding water on those below.
It's up to you if you want to use a standard stat to test your setup. How are you planning to test your earth loop impedance at the element, incidentally?
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/IHST7slashC.html also has the safety.

The reason behind the new safety cutout is that people have died due to tanks boiling over and venting back into the plastic header tank, which subsequently melts and dumps gallons of scalding water on those below.
It's up to you if you want to use a standard stat to test your setup. How are you planning to test your earth loop impedance at the element, incidentally?

Dont be mean! lol Hes a DIYer. I would say as he is just doing a like for like replacement and not touching the earth connection it isnt necessary to test it, obviously an electrician would but hey ho, it won't be any worse then it already was

Im just trying to save myself from spending out about £100 for some guy to spend two minutes replacing the stat and finding that my element is perfectly ok

I'm not rich enough to pour money into someone elses pocket for a simple job of two wires!!?

Sometimes common sense can save people alot of money.....

Last edited by a moderator:
somerset - by looking at the new one i have bought does it matter which side the wires go on? im guessing the plus and minus symbold are for temperature and not +/- wires.
If this works i will buy one with saftey cut out.. just dont want to waste anymore money if it doesnt

Im just trying to save myself from spending out about £100 for some guy to spend two minutes replacing the stat and finding that my element is perfectly ok

I'm not rich enough to pour money into someone elses pocket for a simple job of two wires!!?

Sometimes common sense can save people alot of money.....

Obviously not that simple, as you weren't aware of the safety cutout, and you are asking for help from professionals for free.
If you saw the dangerous situations which we see every day due to people trying to save money, you might understand why we ask so many questions.

Obviously not that simple, as you weren't aware of the safety cutout, and you are asking for help from professionals for free.
If you saw the dangerous situations which we see every day due to people trying to save money, you might understand why we ask so many questions.

I am aware that there are two types of cut off methods one on the thermostat and one that can be wired into the element This is information i got from reading about immersion heating elements around the internet.

As i only had my element changed a few years ago i would of thought that i had quite a newer setup from what was there before. As i remember the previous stat on there have a reset button on the top for saftey cut out.

i understand where you are coming from and i dont claim to know much about this but im willing to sit up for hours at a times reading guides and gathering information so that i can fix it myself. As people have said above... changing a stat isnt very hard. From a saftey point of view we have all seen the programs where people get someone in and they have completly botched the job and a few months down the line you are paying out again. I trust myself, i do as much research as possible and if i feel that i can fix the problem i will try with saftey in mind!

im asking help from professionals as you are a member of a forum and thats what people normally do on forums.

Your quote in the Signature doesnt help....... :)

Your quote in the Signature doesnt help....... :)

I respect people who do their research. What some of us are trained to do however, is deal with things out of the ordinary which often present themselves. These things may not be obvious to the untrained eye.
Regarding the forum...it is an electricians forum, not a DIY one.
I offered the initial advice as I didn't want you fitting the wrong stat, and it was obvious you weren't going to get a professional in. Electrics are my bread and butter, but I still want people to be safe, even if they refuse to pay for a trained and qualified person to do that job.

My signature....tongue in cheek. I do loads for free when people genuinely can't afford very much. That's why I will always be poor. :)

Reply to Electric Immersion Tank + Thermostat in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net