Discuss Electric water heater - Thermostat help :) thanks in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

CableGuy180

Hello all again, im not sure if i should be posting this here or on a plumbing forum but sure you can let me know eh?

My house is about 30years old, it has a electric water heater which has been there since day one.
When i hit the water heater switch it lights up but the water will not heat up.

I read a guide which says "First remove the upper thermostat cover plate and check the high limit switch button. If it has tripped, press it to reset it".

So i removed the cover plate of which I believe is the upper thermo but i couldnt see any limit switch. Dont worry i have the electric turned off & i wont be pressing anything yet,i would just like to know what the problem is before i get anyone out to fix it or hopefully i will be able to fix it myself after some more reading.

Im going to attach a picture of the upper thermostat & was hoping someone would be able to identify the problem( A long shot but worth a try :) ).

If you look carefully you can see the blue brown & earth wire are all connected, now look at the little white box where the brown wire is connected,at the other end of that we white box it has a black wire coming from it,this black wire is not connected to anything & it seems to be rotting away.

Is it possible that this louse rotted black wire is causing the problem?

IMGP2359.jpg

Thanks allot for you time.
cableguy

:eek::eek:

That black wire looks like the switched live supply from the thermostat that feeds the heating element when it calls for heat, and looks like its resting on the heater assembly!

Basically, i think you may need a new immersion heater assembly. It looks pretty corroded and rusty.

Not an easy job to replace as you need to drain the tank a little and carefully undo the whole assembly with a box spanner.

That black wire looks like the switched live supply from the thermostat that feeds the heating element when it calls for heat, and looks like its resting on the heater assembly!

Basically, i think you may need a new immersion heater assembly. It looks pretty corroded and rusty.

Not an easy job to replace as you need to drain the tank a little and carefully undo the whole assembly with a box spanner.

Hi mate
hmmm sounds confusing,lol. Thanks for helping , im not to sure how to reply as im not sure what is what.I was hoping it was just a matter of replacing that black wire & connecting it to something(Wishfull thinking ehh). Ill do some reading first on the "immersion heater assembly" ect & then get back. Another little project for me to get stuck into :)

Cheers

Hi again J , so what your saying is that is dangerous? Should i turn the electric of & put some insulating tape over that black wire asap?
Could the whole heater end up live if that wire touches the wrong place

cheers & much appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
The black wire is what supplies power to the heater element, it looks as though it is broken and badly corroded, if there is a way of replacing the small length of cable and getting a good connection to the element (doubtfull) you will find it may work.

I am worried as to why the cable has degraded in that way, could be a element fault but for the time being turn off the supply! and if poss get someone to test the element

Last edited by a moderator:
have you considered hiring a professional in to do the work.

The black wire is what supplies power to the heater element, it looks as though it is broken and badly corroded, if there is a way of replacing the small length of cable and getting a good connection to the element (doubtfull) you will find it may work.

I am worried as to why the cable has degraded in that way, could be a element fault but for the time being turn off the supply! and if poss get someone to test the element

From its age and corrosion I would replace rather then repair, and do leave it switched off!

Yea sparky i have mate but i would rather have a idea of whats going on before i get anyone to fix it,i dont want to be getting ripped off. No harm in trying to learn something new. Ill get someone to test it then guys & hopefully find out what the problem is & then get the parts required. Ill do some reading in the mean time & if its way over my head ill get a expert in to do the work.

great info guys
thanks

Reply to Electric water heater - Thermostat help :) thanks in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net