Discuss Electrical supplies over long distance in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hello there.
I have been asked to look at a new supply, 240 volt to a stable block. Problem being is distance likely to be between 150-175 metres. Volt drop gonna be a problem. DNO quoted £30k to run new cable from sub. The stable block includes a kitchen, toilets, office so they were looking at a 80/100 amp supply! This is a bit out of my comfort zone so some advice would be helpful. The customer, to cut down costs will dig trench and lay cable themselves.
Many thanks.

You just need to do your calcs and select the correct cable for the volt drop. You need to work out the design current it wont be 80/100amp for that you would be looking at 70 or 95mm and a few thousand pounds. Get the design current then you can work out the volt drop. The cable wont be cheap but that's how much it's going to cost them. It will be cheaper than 30k though!

Use SWA buried with warning tape above it. Deep enough as to prevent danger. Is it a farm?

Sent from my Xperia S using next doors WIFI

Be careful to check the system as well as its out in the sticks it may well be a TT in which case you'll need RCD protection.

Hello there.
I have been asked to look at a new supply, 240 volt to a stable block. Problem being is distance likely to be between 150-175 metres. Volt drop gonna be a problem. DNO quoted £30k to run new cable from sub. The stable block includes a kitchen, toilets, office so they were looking at a 80/100 amp supply! This is a bit out of my comfort zone so some advice would be helpful. The customer, to cut down costs will dig trench and lay cable themselves.
Many thanks.

After you have scared yourself silly, trying to find a single multi cored cable to suit your requirements, Think about the use of a smaller sized parallel cabled sub-main. You may well be pleasantly surprised!!! lol!! ...Just make sure, that whatever way you decide to supply this stable block ensure that the cable trench floor is free of sharp stones and debris etc, and lined with a suitable depth of soft sand on which to lay your cable(s). And it should be the cables covering medium also. Don't forget to conduct a sheath test on the cable(s) prior to the final backfill layer....

After you have scared yourself silly, trying to find a single multi cored cable to suit your requirements, Think about the use of a smaller sized parallel cabled sub-main. You may well be pleasantly surprised!!! lol!! ...Just make sure, that whatever way you decide to supply this stable block ensure that the cable trench floor is free of sharp stones and debris etc, and lined with a suitable depth of soft sand on which to lay your cable(s). And it should be the cables covering medium also. Don't forget to conduct a sheath test on the cable(s) prior to the final backfill layer....

As Engineer54 Say's , parallel is the way forward ! We have just laid 400m of 70mm 4c to a small barn conversion come holiday home on Wednesday , instead of a substantially larger 2 core .

Also he mentions the importance of the bedding and back fill material , I can unequivocally support that statement due to a length of 340m 95mm 4c we are about to replace next week under warranty !

Some may remember me mentioning a issue with this sub a few months ago and the need for some fault location equipment , well let's just say multiple fault's would not even cover the first couple of meters let alone the rest of the run !!!!!!!

Just to note though ! We did not lay it in the first place and did not even supply it , but as most things in life " it's complicated ! "

As Engineer54 Say's , parallel is the way forward ! We have just laid 400m of 70mm 4c to a small barn conversion come holiday home on Wednesday , instead of a substantially larger 2 core .

Also he mentions the importance of the bedding and back fill material , I can unequivocally support that statement due to a length of 340m 95mm 4c we are about to replace next week under warranty !

Some may remember me mentioning a issue with this sub a few months ago and the need for some fault location equipment , well let's just say multiple fault's would not even cover the first couple of meters let alone the rest of the run !!!!!!!

Just to note though ! We did not lay it in the first place and did not even supply it , but as most things in life " it's complicated ! "

Remember the thread. You’re having to replace under warranty when the customer installed the cable? That’s a bit harsh!

Not the half of it Tony !

I do not want to go into it on a open forum so may pm you with a explanation latter if i have time to type it ( exceptionally slow typist !) , but we have essentially taken the hit as a matter of honour !

Reply to Electrical supplies over long distance in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net