Discuss Electrician suspended by ELECSA but continued to rewire house in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Doesitsing

Our electrician (hired via our contractor) began rewiring our house the beginning of November. He was suspended by ELECSA the beginning of December but didn't tell me and continued to rewire our house, completing the job mid January (a month behind schedule). I won't tell you how I found out, but I had a hunch that something was wrong and called ELECSA, who confirmed that he was no longer a member (still displaying Part P on his website though). The contractor has just landed me with a 10k bill for the rewire (loaded with add ons) and I've refused to pay anything until this sorry mess is sorted out. I've called Building Control, who tell me that I need an Electrical Installation Condition Report and a Cable Survey. Obviously my main concern is safety. When I pulled back the carpet in our loft room, I saw wires resting on top of joists. The halogen down lights are overheating in our lath and plaster ceiling. My smoke alarm went off, so I'm not even using the down lighters at the moment because I have no peace of mind. Sockets are resting on top of skirting boards, as if he's just thrown them into the wall. I dread to think what's going on in the places I can't see. I have an Electrician coming round tomorrow, who is a member of ELECSA and who has agreed to work with me and building control. The contractor said that he had no idea the Electrician was suspended from ELECSA (which I wanted to believe), but when the contractor told me that he's already prepaid the Electrician 7.5k (not including materials), I found that a little far fetched. I told my scaffolder friend and he just laughed his head off, he said that nobody gets "prepaid" that kind of money, especially by contractors. Anyway, any advice about how to move forward would be much appreciated. Despite what the electrician has done, the Breach of Contract is apparently between me and the contractor. Wishing you all the best......

The way that looks to me is that you hired a main contractor to do various works on your property who in turn hired this electrician. If this is the case the main contractor has to ensure all his sub contractors are up to scratch and all client snags are rectified (otherwise he mightn't get paid)

You must have one monster sized house for that price,say 4 times the size I usually wire

The builder subbed the work out to the spark,it seems to be his problem to complete the work to a satisfactory standard
What he pays to whom is his problem,your contract is with him and payment for completed works should be to your satisfaction and to a relevant standard

What do you want people to say? Should we condemn someone on you’re word? Why are you not asking the electrician calling on you tomorrow?

BTW being a member of a scheme means “membership paid”, to throw someone out would be drastic. It would be a loss of income for the scheme.

dont pay a cent get a second opinion from a properly acreddited electrician
then the court
can you post any pics especially of the consumer unit(u need 5 posts to do so) just reply a few times

if the main contractor has paid the spark for shoddy work, that's his problem. as said previously, get another spark in to assess the situation as regards the quality of the electrical work, what it's going to cost to rectify any problems, then take it from there.

Rough substandard work done by any member of any of the various scheme's usualy takes weeks/months of investigation and then...eventualy/maybe....they will be thrown off the scheme's books.

However if your a day late in paying your yearly sub's...instant dismissal with extra charges payable to be re-evaluated before you can become a sheme member again.

Regarding the Op's problem.....IF the electrician was hired and being payed by the main contractor/builder and no payments were made by themselves direct to the electrician then the main contractor/builder's problem of 'the sparks has already been payed 7.5k' realy isn't the op's problem at all in my opinion......let the main contractor/builder and the electrician fight it out between themselves.

Before doing anything more wait for the new electricians report, hopefully they'll give an honest report explaining both good (if any) and bad works that have been done.....i will add that if the new sparks walks in a blatantly slates everything that's been done with out showing and explaining why it's so bad THEN get another report done by someone else aswell to ensure your getting a fair assessment of the works that have been done.

To be thrown out of scheme is hard to believe but he may of not even been in a scheme if you get my drift

You need agree with the main contractor that you want a independent inspection carried out of the electrical works to date.
At no point should your agreed price with the main contractor alter for the electrical works as he has employed him not you so be firm and a lll will come good.

The end of the day you will be the one signing of practical completion and that will be to your say as to wether yu are happy etc

would say more but friday night and 5 pints down lol

Rough substandard work done by any member of any of the various scheme's usualy takes weeks/months of investigation and then...eventualy/maybe....they will be thrown off the scheme's books.

However if your a day late in paying your yearly sub's...instant dismissal with extra charges payable to be re-evaluated before you can become a sheme member again.

Regarding the Op's problem.....IF the electrician was hired and being payed by the main contractor/builder and no payments were made by themselves direct to the electrician then the main contractor/builder's problem of 'the sparks has already been payed 7.5k' realy isn't the op's problem at all in my opinion......let the main contractor/builder and the electrician fight it out between themselves.

Before doing anything more wait for the new electricians report, hopefully they'll give an honest report explaining both good (if any) and bad works that have been done.....i will add that if the new sparks walks in a blatantly slates everything that's been done with out showing and explaining why it's so bad THEN get another report done by someone else aswell to ensure your getting a fair assessment of the works that have been done.
You beat me to it

The amount of spark bashing here lately is crazy, I am at breaking point with it, either the trade has got so bad it is beyond belief or the customers so tight they will try anything to avoid the Bill, which one is it, and who do we believe? LOL, whats happening to the trade FFS

The amount of spark bashing here lately is crazy, I am at breaking point with it, either the trade has got so bad it is beyond belief or the customers so tight they will try anything to avoid the Bill, which one is it, and who do we believe? LOL, whats happening to the trade FFS

I blame Channel 5 with all this Cowboy Builder etc.

the customer now thinks everyone in the trade is a crook, just to get their ratings up

With photographic evidence then I would hear the complainant out. No evidence other than a disgruntled customers opinion and anecdotal hearsay then there isn’t anything to listen to.

To the OP (original poster), provide evidence and we may help. Otherwise stop singing. (You seem to have done anyway).

To others, I’ve never been in the domestic trade, but I’m disgusted at the way you react to outside criticism. Knifes out, not a trace of closing ranks. Mike you and I have had our disagreements in the past, but, as regards the way this trade is going we are in agreement.

I blame Channel 5 with all this Cowboy Builder etc.

the customer now thinks everyone in the trade is a crook, just to get their ratings up

Agreed, it can be difficult to explain the importance of some work without them probably thinking your just trying to put the scares up them. Programmes like that usually tell you to watch out for scaremongers, but when there's electricity, there's (potentially) serious danger about

Reply to Electrician suspended by ELECSA but continued to rewire house in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net