• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.
  • If you have electrical work available, then you are in the correct forum.

Post details of the position you have on offer in this forum. Domestic / homeowners are also welcome to post electrical work they have available on their property. Or you're welcome to seach for a Local Electrician in our directory.

Discuss Electrics tripping the rcd and can’t locate why in the Electrical Work Up For Grabs |Electrical Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I’m not an electrician but know to try to identify what is tripping the RCD. Top floor electrics tripped. Thought identified heating was the culprit as tripped when boiler switched on at mains tripped the rcd. Kept that off on rcd board but then when tried bathroom lights that tripped Rcd, as does using electric shower after rcd reset and switch shower on. The electric cooker is also on same circuit rcd and that trips rcd if try using that. Any ideas ? Obviously will need electrician but ideas so at least we can use other things in the meantime. Ground floor rcd not affected. Thanks in advance

I’m not an electrician but know to try to identify what is tripping the RCD. Top floor electrics tripped. Thought identified heating was the culprit as tripped when boiler switched on at mains tripped the rcd. Kept that off on rcd board but then when tried bathroom lights that tripped Rcd, as does using electric shower after rcd reset and switch shower on. The electric cooker is also on same circuit rcd and that trips rcd if try using that. Any ideas ? Obviously will need electrician but ideas so at least we can use other things in the meantime. Ground floor rcd not affected. Thanks in advance
Might seem an odd question Jason, but when you say top floor, I take this a flat, does the top floor have it's own CU (fuseboard)

turn of all mcbs on the rcd
the flick the rcd on one by one flick the mcb's that are fed from the rcd. the one that causes the rcd to trip is where your problem is. if the rcd trips even when all the mcbs are off then there is a bigger problem and you will have to get a sparkie in.

It’s a house. Ground floor on one circuit and top floor on another. So it is the second circuit that has issue. On this circuit are heating, two lights, cooker, shower. I’ve unplugged all plugs. I’ve tried switching each one of the switches on rcd board on one by one. They stay on. While on if I switch lights on, or shower or heating each trips the rcd board. The lighting in the bathroom is led spot lights

sounds like a N-E fault. Manchester ( the west side of) is on my patch so if you want an experienced fault finder, pm me.

It’s a house. Ground floor on one circuit and top floor on another. So it is the second circuit that has issue. On this circuit are heating, two lights, cooker, shower. I’ve unplugged all plugs. I’ve tried switching each one of the switches on rcd board on one by one. They stay on. While on if I switch lights on, or shower or heating each trips the rcd board. The lighting in the bathroom is led spot lights
Had any work done recently?

Reply to Electrics tripping the rcd and can’t locate why in the Electrical Work Up For Grabs |Electrical Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back