Discuss ELESCA Wanting 17th Edition Cert in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi just applied to join ELESCA and have been told I need to produce a 17th edition certificate for my assessment. I started all my training from 2008 and my JIB card states that i have the 17th edition as I have done the 2391 and NVQ 3 through the years.
Does it sound like the ELESCA rep is wrong or am in going to have to fork out £80+ for the exam only?

Cheers

Might he not mean a 17th edition test cert, to cover the installation you are being assesed on? Surely you must have done 2382 before 2391?

No said did i have the 17th edition qualification. Said I have never taken the 2382 as I have been trained to the 17th since it began in 2008. This was confirmed when i applied for the 2391 at the college at the time and also the JIB graded me when i applied for my gold card

I would say that you will be OK if you can demonstrate the qualifications you have an demonstrate that you understand the 17th Edition requirements.

Elecsa say on their website that the assessment will require

IET Wiring Regulations
You must be able to demonstrate a full grasp of the latest
Wiring Regulations. Without a detailed grasp of the 17th
Edition wiring regulations it is unlikely that you will be able
to pass the assessment and may require additional training
before being reassessed. Any qualifications presented should
be from a recognised awarding body. If you need to discuss
this further, please contact us directly.

ill be honest, I'm shocked that you have not got the 2382 considering how IMHO obvious it is that you should have it, I would even think every scheme had it as point one in their requirements list.

i am sure you are capable of demonstrating your 17th knowledge so dont take it that way, more just that I'm a little suprised that you have not given it any thought to something so blindingly obvious.

Last edited:
From C&G site re 2391;

Electrical Installations qualifications and training courses | City & Guilds

[h=2]About these qualifications
[/h]A Certificate in Electrical Installations helps you develop the knowledge and practical experience to professionally design and install or inspect and test electrical installations.
The qualification shows your customers that you're a competent installer or tester, and are up to date with national requirements for the industry (BS7671).

They have also got to recognise and take account of what is known as "Recognised Prior Learning", known as RPL in my circles.

What this means, is that if you hold a recognised qualification and any part of that qualification counts towards another , then you must be given exemption for the things that you have done.

And if your quals are on the QCF system, then they can be mixed and matched form different awarding bodies.

So if you training incorporated a unit that gave you 17the edition accreditation, then you don't need to do the 17th edition. All of your accreditation's will be on the confirmation of units credits cert that you got with the main certificate.

Hope this hasn't confused you to much.

Cheers..............Howard.

It is obvious the guy is 17th qualified, whilst training he wouldn't have learned the 15th or 16th, Elecsa telephone numpty by the sounds of it, ridiculous.

ill be honest, I'm shocked that you have not got the 2382 considering how IMHO obvious it is that you should have it, I would even think every scheme had it as point one in their requirements list.

i am sure you are capable of demonstrating your 17th knowledge so dont take it that way, more just that I'm a little suprised that you have not given it any thought to something so blindingly obvious.

What are you on about???
He has qualified to the 17th edition and knows nothing other than the 17th edition!!
His nvq3 was all 17th edition aswell and his jib card has 17th edition slapped on the back of it.
Mate dont worry as MDJ has said you probably just had a numpty on the phone!!

i am sure you are capable of demonstrating your 17th knowledge so dont take it that way, more just that I'm a little suprised that you have not given it any thought to something so blindingly obvious.j

Why would he go out and spend £400 on a Micky mouse course when he spent his whole career adhering to that edition. 2382 is a joke and my nan could pass it . An open book exam doesn't distinguish a good electrician from a Electrical Trainee so where you get it's "obvious " from is beyond me

He doesn't need it, he was trained to the 17th edition standard, whats the point taking an exam you have already obtained through college????

Sorry I didn't mean it to be the be all and end all of courses and the course to have, what I meant was that I thought it was a requirement to have the 17th 2383 to join the scheme? If it's not why is it that everyone keeps going on about updating to the latest and having to keep paying to get new bits of paper?

i agree, it's extremely easy to pass, to be honest you don't need to know the first thing about regs or electric etc to pass it, yes it's a joke.

I would say that you will be OK if you can demonstrate the qualifications you have an demonstrate that you understand the 17th Edition requirements.

Elecsa say on their website that the assessment will require

IET Wiring Regulations
You must be able to demonstrate a full grasp of the latest
Wiring Regulations. Without a detailed grasp of the 17th
Edition wiring regulations it is unlikely that you will be able
to pass the assessment and may require additional training
before being reassessed. Any qualifications presented should
be from a recognised awarding body. If you need to discuss
this further, please contact us directly.
aye...pathetic innit...

my nan could pass it
I know you are making a point but that is a ridiculous thing to say.

2382 may be very easy to those who know but that is its purpose and what it shows.

Give your Nan the book and ask her what is the maximum Zs for a C32 60898.
Let us know when she finds it.

I know you are making a point but that is a ridiculous thing to say.

2382 may be very easy to those who know but that is its purpose and what it shows.

Give your Nan the book and ask her what is the maximum Zs for a C32 60898.
Let us know when she finds it.
half that for a b curve innit...

so its 1.44/2...innit.

Reply to ELESCA Wanting 17th Edition Cert in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net