Discuss ELV in bathroom in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Reg. 701.411.3.3 RCD for bathroom circuits. Suppose 4 12v downlights in bathroom ceiling, trannies in loft, switch outside bathroom. As there is no 230v in bathroom, does the aforesaid reg. apply? Max. touch voltage well below 50v. Other opinions sought

yes all circuits in a special location ie, bathrooms are to be protected by means of a 30 mA rcd or rcbo,17th edition is retraspective by that i mean that if you are adding a new circiut to an older installation then you have to take into consideration how old the existing wiring is , as not all buildings are to 17th edition.. but all new wiring is to be installed to bs7671 , 17th edition,

not a new circuit, just light replacement. no RCD on installation. ideally RCBO on lighting, but my argument is that there is no " mains" in the bathroom. only 12v.

i don't think the reg does apply then teletrix , as even if there was 230 to lights they are out of zones and if the appropriate ip ratings are correct you should be ok..

that's what i thought, but would like other views. btw, you missed the c in my name, lol.

This reg is included in the Q&A forum on the ESC website,
Is Regulation 701.411.3.3, which requires RCD protection for all circuits of a bathroom or shower room, intended to apply to ELV circuits?
No. This is intended to be clarified in the 17th Edition in due course. However, RCD protection would be required for the circuits supplying ELV sources (such as transformers) if those sources are in a bathroom or shower room.
17th Edition Guidance | New or Rewired Domestic and Similar Installations

Last edited:

Reply to ELV in bathroom in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net