Discuss Email from customer about shower pump in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

timhoward

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
This could be interesting. Any thoughts/predictions:

I have a pump operated shower – in the past year the pump has been replaced 3 times as it stopped working – but the plumber is at a loss to the problem and said it must be something to do with the electrics? This makes sense, because if I go to switch the shower on and it’s not working (as again of late) all I am doing is unplugging the pump plug from the electric socket, wait a good while and switch it back on and then the shower works? When I put the plug back and switch it back on it sometimes makes like a ‘thumping’ sound? Both the pump and the socket are in the airing cupboard next to the bathroom.

What do we reckon
-Connections?
-awful pump quality?
-Air lock?!
-too close to cylinder and seals failing?

I'll be surprised if this is actually an electrical problem.

Last edited:
Probably an installation problem, with the inlets and outlets not meeting the specs provided by the manufacturer. It shouldn't really be a problem, but there isn't much leeway, sadly.
Just a minor rant: Why do manufacturers not supply the service kits they used to offer? Salamander are a culprit here, in my experience. Blow the pcb and buy a new pump, throwing the rest of it away...madness!

My parents had pretty much the same problem, with the pump replaced under warranty each time.

For the third pump the manufacturer requested photos of the install and suggested the problem may have been the flexible anti-vibration connector hoses being bent 90° as they exit/ enter the pump.

They said while they look like the standard braided flexible hoses you find under the sink that's not what they're for and should be kept straight.

Waiting to see how long pump number 3 lasts with the now straight hoses.

I should add that my pump is on a gravity-fed hot water cylinder, and the manufacturers instructions are very specific.
The last failure was a few years ago when a family of four used the shower twice each every day, and spent a long time in the shower. The latest pump has been in for 3 years without a problem, even though the feed temperature is quite high.
One user, once or twice day.

Thanks guys. Shower pumps seem to be quite unforgiving if not installed to spec!

My understanding is that if a Surrey Flange or Essex Flange hasn’t been used then the pump will not only be sucking hot water from the cylinder but also air from the vent pipe. It does sound rather like an air lock problem.

I won’t be able to look at this for a week or two as it’s a long way away but I’ll report back.
In the meantime I’ve asked if they have tried waiting “a good while” and NOT re plugging the pump.

Reply to Email from customer about shower pump in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net