Discuss Emergency key switching in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Cj24

If you have emergency key switches what goes in the top of your key switch with the feed is it your emergency feed out to your emergency lights with your sw feed out the bottom side of switch going to your non emergency lights? And on a maintained emergency light fitting can u explain why you need a perm feed and a sw feed because ain't it easier to just link ya sw and perm at the fitting

Am emergency lighting key test switch is just that, a way of testing the battery inside the em light by switching off the perm live supply to it.

If your perm live to the em light was connected in with the main switch feed then the key switch wouldn't do anything as the power to the fitting wouldn't switch off.

Emergency lighting

When using em key sw how do they work as in with your feed and em feed in the top of key sw and your sw wire to your other lights in the bottom do you have the key sw down so that everthing is powered up but then wen want to test the em lights you flick up to cut power to all lights other then emergency, I have had an argument with someone and the say that ya sw goes with ya feed but ya em feed goes in bottom of key sw on own

Hi my view is that you take main feed to bottom of keyswitch then out the top you connect perm feed to em light and loop feed to your switch, this way when u turn key switch it kills the whole circuit and the lights go out and all you can see is the emergency lamp lit.

the other way when you just swich perm feed to light is not the way i liketo teach

It is used just like a double pole isolator so to simulate power loss, but with a key and not a normal switch.

in most places as it means only emergenct lighting they prefer just the em lamp switching over so main lights stay on specialy offices with no windows doing a Full 3hr test n telling an office manager Your lights are all going out wouldnt work most places

Last edited by a moderator:
The prefered option is Live to common on KEY Perm feed from L1 of SW Fed to Switch from Common as the only lamps to go out would be the emergency thus eliminating any possible dark areas and not impacting on clients buisness specialy in offices ect

The prefered option is Live to common on KEY Perm feed from L1 of SW Fed to Switch from Common as the only lamps to go out would be the emergency thus eliminating any possible dark areas and not impacting on clients buisness specialy in offices ect

so basically what i said above,, but is there an electrical reason why my way is unacceptable.

dont think electricaly and its ok to do it that way if its small room ect just larger rooms/offices/shops An asside anyone answer is turning off an MCB acceptable means of testing emergency lighting?

If the emergency light is combined with a normal light the way to use a test switch is to use a double pole key switch with on side being the permanent live and the other side the switch wire to the emergency fitting thus when the key switch is switched off it turns off both the permanent feed and light causing the emergency light to operate but leave the rest of the lighting on.

A number of emergency fittings in the same room would therefore have the permanent live and switch wire looped from the first emergency fitting on the circuit.

key switch common Live from cu Loopfeed to1g sw L1 perm supply to fittings
1g sw Common Loop from Key sw l1 switch wire to fittings

On your key sw you put your feed and sw in your com and your em feed goes in l1 but on the front of the key sw when you pull your key sw down so the key is on test the lights are on but when you push the key up to where it says em light that's when the em
lights come on and the others go off but shunt it be other way round

How is best to wire 2 4pin clicks and a 3pin for a pir an em light and a non emergency light via a key sw cheers and if poss can you break down for me so can understand it easily thank you

When you have power on and your key sw is open then all your lights are on and the LED is on on your em light but when you flick the key sw the lights stay on but your em go into em mode which is what I want but should the LED still be lit up? Should the LED only go off wen power failure or is it ok for LED to be off wen testin em lights to cus everything else is fine

Reply to Emergency key switching in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net