Discuss Emergency Lighting Query in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

wallyanker

Hello

Our warehouse manager informed me today that during a 2 minute power cut, the emergency lighting came on and then went off again when the power was restored. I couldnt see the problem until he explained that the big bay lights used to illuminate the picking isles did not come back on for approx 10 mins (400w-600w sodiums I believe). So his staff were stood in the dark waiting for the lights to come back on. :dizzy2:

Can you install any form of time lag switch to the emergency lighting so that when the power is restored, they still continue to work for 10 mins or so?? Picture below is the type of emergency lighting installed in the warehouse.

Thanks

Only immediate thing I can think of that's going to be fairly simple will be to alter the supply circuit to the emergencies so that they are fed via a contactor, that way when the site comes back on they'll need a manual reset to restore the power supply to turn them off.

Another option might be to effectively create the same effect as above, but by using a switched live output from the battery side on one of the units to trigger a shunt trip that feeds the circuit to knock the MCB out.

explain to the nice gentleman, that emergency lighting is designed to facilitate an escape only, not to allow his staff to carry on working. To make his staff work in unsafe conditions caused by low lighting levels would be contrary to the HSAW act.
Tell him that you would be happy to change the fittinmgs to induction fittings, that will instantly re-strike, and will save him a fortune on maintenance and energy costs.

Last edited:
explain to the nice gentleman, that emergency lighting is designed to facilitate an escape only, to to allow his staff to carry on working. To make his staff work in unsafe conditions caused by low lighting levels would be contrary to the HSAW act.
Tell him that you would be happy to change the fittinmgs to induction fittings, that will instantly re-strike, and will save him a fortune on maintenance and energy costs.

Whilst this is technically reasonably accurate, in the real world we're professionally engaged to solve problems and find solutions, not just be pains in the backside because we think having sat some exams entitles us to ride rough-shod over some non-existant moral high ground. And this profession wonders why it has such a low public opinion?????!!

im being serious. It would be irresponsible of us to try and facilitate a means of allowing people to work, in low lighting conditions. Especailly in an environment, where the order pickers are required to read small writing.
were not being pains in the backside, by pointing out the obvious.

My second suggestion in the my post is a reasonable, economically sensible decision.

agree^^^. tell the miserable sod to give the staff a tea break while waiting for the lights to fire up.

Hence my saying that I'm not technically in disagreement with you.

There is actually a counter argument though that says a short duration power down of just a few seconds would actually lead to a far more dangerous situation as it would leave a large building in darkness for a period, full of staff in mid activity, when the emergencies have gone off but the main lights not back on. Hmmm.....anyone up for some blind man forklift driving?

Faced with two options - 1) find a ÂŁÂŁ-ÂŁÂŁÂŁ solution or 2) have a hissy fit and insist upon a ÂŁÂŁÂŁÂŁÂŁ solution, I know which of the two any business in this country is going to choose at the moment. The first saving they'd make would be to get rid of the OP!!

Last edited:

Reply to Emergency Lighting Query in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net