Discuss Extending a spur from garage circuit to shed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

seaknight

Hello,

I would like to get some advice on extending a spur from our garage to the garden shed.
Is this notifiable under Part P of building regs?
(It is my understanding that extending a spur isn't notifiable in itself, whilst power to outdoor installations from the house is)

I was thinking of using 4mm SWA cable terminated in the shed on a MK Garage consumer unit (IP65).
Since I have a half used reel of 6mm T+E, could I run this inside plastic conduit instead?
Which would be better?
I'm leaning towards SWA since it's safer, I want to clip the cable against a concrete wall directly.
I don't want to run any high current devices at the moment, although I want to future proof the installation.

Thanks

I would like to get some advice on extending a spur from our garage to the garden shed.
Is this notifiable under Part P of building regs?

Yes. On domestic premises, any changes or new work outside are notifiable other than a simple light fitting attached to the building.

I was thinking of using 4mm SWA cable terminated in the shed on a MK Garage consumer unit (IP65).
Since I have a half used reel of 6mm T+E, could I run this inside plastic conduit instead?
Which would be better?
I'm leaning towards SWA since it's safer, I want to clip the cable against a concrete wall directly.
I don't want to run any high current devices at the moment, although I want to future proof the installation.
Thanks

I'd use SWA.

A few of the things you need to take into consideration are:
The earthing system used.
RCD protection to sockets and possibly the whole of the installation.
Overcurrent protection.
The need to avoid plunging your house into darkness if there's a fault in the shed.
Volt drop from the origin to the loads.
Testing of polarity, continuity, insulation resistance, RCD tripping times, fault loop impedance.

You need to start with the design loads and work back towards the supply, calculating cable sizes and overcurrent protection devices.

Many thanks for the post, I'd have to get the house CU upgraded to a 17th edition split load before doing anything, since the meter tails go to an RCD, then onto the CU.
Since I'm a householder, I'm thinking of doing a Part P course over the summer, then doing most of the work myself.

I think you will need more than a short 'part p' course to do this safely.
There is more to it than you may realise. I would recommend Looking into course content before selecting one.

Hello,

Thanks

A spur in the garage? Need more info. How is the house feeding the garage? What where you thinking of connecting the 4mm SWA into?

In all honesty this is a job for an electrician

what's the brain surgery equivalent to the part p course? was tinking of a career change. 4 weeks training then £110k salary. already got a cordles drill and stanley knife, so minimal tools layout.

I agree with TOES get a spark to do it then you know it's safe. Sometimes the extra cost is worth your piece of mind it's done correctly.

If only that was true!! Unfortunately that isn't always the case these days, with all these semi-skilled herbert's that are holding Part Pee accreditation... lol!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Extending a spur from garage circuit to shed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net