Discuss Extending Shower Cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

Noob2013

Hi all,

I need to extend a shower cable due to building work making it 6 inches too short.

The cable runs through a single storey extension so no access above to put junction box which need to be accessible.

The existing wall where the cable runs down is having a "mini" partition build in front of it which the shower will be fixed to.

Is it acceptable to put a junction box on the exsting wall directly behind shower and label the consumer unit of its location.

That way, if there was a fault or needed to be inspected, the shower could be taken off the wall and access the junction box through a cut out in the plasterboard.

Thanks

Why don't you take the short cable to a pull cord switch in an easily accessable position and then drop a new bit from there to the shower?

There's no access above and the cable runs straight down to shower so the only accessible place would be directly above shower.

Well try to inform us your a Trainee next time fella, that makes it a whole different ball game. Now is there any way you can cut a single box size hole in the plasterboard above the shower, pull out the cable and then fish the short length to a suitible position for a pull cord switch?

Hi thanks for all the suggestions.

Was just something I was thinking about after getting home and after some ideas.

I have taken them all on board and will have another look tomorrow and see which one will be best.

Thanks again

If the plumber is unwilling to replace a bit of pipe (by far the easiest option) have him flogged then sort it out yourselves.
Cut a hold in the ceiling big enough to get your hand in, find the cable. Cut it, the cable which comes from the CU will now be your feed to a pull switch. Tie a cable onto the other bit and pull the new bit in, making sure it is now not 6 inches too short.
When this is all done you can replace the bit of plasterboard you have cut out, 2 x 1 and a handful of screws will enable this to happen. Then fill around the cut lines and once it's repainted no one will ever know and the customer will have a pull switch which can be used to isolate the shower.
Jobs a goodun.

If the plumber is unwilling to replace a bit of pipe (by far the easiest option) have him flogged then sort it out yourselves.
Cut a hold in the ceiling big enough to get your hand in, find the cable. Cut it, the cable which comes from the CU will now be your feed to a pull switch. Tie a cable onto the other bit and pull the new bit in, making sure it is now not 6 inches too short.
When this is all done you can replace the bit of plasterboard you have cut out, 2 x 1 and a handful of screws will enable this to happen. Then fill around the cut lines and once it's repainted no one will ever know and the customer will have a pull switch which can be used to isolate the shower.
Jobs a goodun.

Pullswitch body will need to be kept out of zone 1 though.....might not be possible to access the cable from zone 2.

get the wet-pants back. had same with one of them . i drew the shower on the wall for him. he still plumbed it in 12" lower. thick as what they send down the sewer.

Reply to Extending Shower Cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net