Discuss Extractor fan + halogen light in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

andywheeler44

Hi can I get some advice on what to do with my extractor fan it has been stop starting for some time now today it has completely stopped working. Am I right in saying I need to change the transformer in the loft ?

Hi can I get some advice on what to do with my extractor fan it has been stop starting for some time now today it has completely stopped working. Am I right in saying I need to change the transformer in the loft ?
How would we know that? you need to carry out a visual inspection and test with an instrument to find out why the fan does not work, could be several reasons, the transformer more than likely the culprit, but without testing it guessing is just plain silly.

Is the transformer for the fan or for the light?
Check to see if your getting any volts at fan when switched on.
If 12v present then replace with lv fan
If 240v then replace with mains voltage fan. Possibly inc timer
If no volts present poss faulty switch/tranny/ or maybe loose connection.
If this doesnt make sense then advise is to ring a sparky who could probably sort it within the hour.

Ah yes....stated in the title.
Well ok then if the tranny was faulty then the light wouldnt work eithr if they share the same transformer.
That may help more

"my extractor fan it has been stop starting for some time now today it has completely stopped working."

Sounds like just the fan (regardless of being 12V or 230V). The light will b on its own 12V trany.

The fan's motor could have gone? Loose termination has finally slipped out? The fan may not be turning due to all the dead hair and skin in it?

Thanks everyone, no I'm not stuck in the loft lol It is a fan and light together but the lights transformer is the first thing I've seen when I got up there and didn't look in good condition but thts wasn't the problem as light was still working it was the fans motor that had burnt out

do you want to hire our punka wallah? £40 and a bowl of rice per day.

do you want to hire our punka wallah? £40 and a bowl of rice per day.

As long as he's Part P approved.

You could get a DI for that price, judging off some of things I read.....and he might not have to go off site to get some advice to sort it out

edit: sort out his punka wallah's wotsit, I mean.

Last edited:
If it's an in-line fan it's probably crap anyway so I wouldn't bother replacing it! ;) The transformer will have nothing to do with the fan. If you've seen something in poor condition then that in itself should prompt you to get a spark in to check it out.

If that OP is Eng54's butler,he's taking one hell of a chance coming on here and asking those questions...:dunce2:

Reply to Extractor fan + halogen light in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net