• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Extractor fans that don't need a fuse

Discuss Extractor fans that don't need a fuse in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

SparkyChick

Making a banana smoothy for my fave gorilla
Staff member
Hi all,

I've been trying to find fans that don't require fusing down according to the instructions.

Can anyone recommend any please?

These are just replacements and I'm trying to keep the cost down for the customer so if I can avoid extra work to install fuses etc. I'd like to.

Thanks

SC

johnduffell

Regular EF Member
Are they run off a 6A lighting circuit? I know it doesn't answer your question, but EDIT I think I misremembered - 3A fuse operates quicker than 6A MCB for overload currents - 7A would blow a 3A fuse in 0.05 seconds but would take 3600 for the 6A MCB to trip.
However although there's no need to follow the manufacturer's instructions, life is probably easier further down the line if you don't have to explain that.

Last edited:

Murdoch

Electrician's Arms
S&p

Greencroft

Are 2 that spring to mind

Ian1981

Forum Mentor
The only time I fuse down a fan is if it’s spurred from a ring circuit. If it’s fed from a lighting circuit then it’s usually protected by a 6 amp mcb so as already said the mcb will most likely trip before the fuse ever blows

SparkyChick

Staff member
S&p

Greencroft

Are 2 that spring to mind
Thanks Murdoch. Found the S&P ones, any chance you could point me in the direction of the other one as I can't seem to find it on-line.

Thanks

Murdoch

Electrician's Arms
Thanks Murdoch. Found the S&P ones, any chance you could point me in the direction of the other one as I can't seem to find it on-line.

Thanks
Greenwood

Sorry:)

But it’s daft this 3a fuse thing .....

SparkyChick

Staff member
Greenwood

Sorry:)

But it’s daft this 3a fuse thing .....

And yes, it's a pain in the posterior. It's alright saying it's only guidance, but who amongst us fancies their chances arguing the **** with someone in court? Personally, I don't, so I prefer to follow the MIs, it's just an excuse to off-load their responsibilities.

Murdoch

Electrician's Arms
I took this 3A issue up with icon .... needless to say they wouldn’t budge ....... 6A MCB versus 3A 1362 ..... just goes to show how little manufacturers know .. and understand

Wilko

Electrician's Arms
Hi - here's one I used a while back. It's Vent Axia, but I don't think all their 100mm models have their own internal fuse like this one, which is why I took a pic .

IMG_1102.JPG

johnduffell

Regular EF Member
I took this 3A issue up with icon .... needless to say they wouldn’t budge ....... 6A MCB versus 3A 1362 ..... just goes to show how little manufacturers know .. and understand
I thought the same from memory but after checking it doesn't seem to apply to overload current. Do manufacturers specify a 1362 fuse for overload protection eg shorted windings as well?

SparkyChick

Staff member
Hard to see but is the fuse soldered onto the pcb or is it replaceable ?
It's a lead ended axial, soldered onto the PCB. Replaceable if you can wield desoldering gear :)

Edit - But to be fair, if it fails I suspect the fans a write off.

Andy78

Respected Member
It's a lead ended axial, soldered onto the PCB. Replaceable if you can wield desoldering gear :)

Edit - But to be fair, if it fails I suspect the fans a write off.
My fat fingers and poor eyesight would see me replacing the fan

Official Sponsors

Electrician Talk

Please enable / Bitte aktiviere JavaScript!
Veuillez activer / Por favor activa el Javascript![ ? ]