Discuss Faulty gas meter? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been reading only on here on and off for a couple of years and thought I'd finally get around to a post!!

I'm an Elecsa member now for a couple of years and built things up slowly but came across a strange one today that I've not come across before.

I fitted a new CU and the gas meter was fine before hand, dead tests all came back ok, but when I powered back up the gas meter dials were spinning at a rate of knots! Turning off the boiler stopped it but why would this only become an issue after changing the board? If there was a fault on the boiler it should show up before also surely?

There's other works going on there but no gas leak or the likes either apparent and you'd know if you were getting through that much gas.

It appears to be a faulty meter but just wondered if anyone had come across it before.

thanks

Added a couple of sockets so had a bit of floor up but not today, nothing near enough to the CU that could've been damaged.
You will be surprised where old gas pipes run. How old is the property you are working in? I'm sure others will agree, but I've seen gas pipes run diagonally across walls to get from A to B, also around the front of chimney breast.

You will be surprised where old gas pipes run. How old is the property you are working in? I'm sure others will agree, but I've seen gas pipes run diagonally across walls to get from A to B, also around the front of chimney breast.

I'm going down the gas safe route and will recheck round again to see that I'm clear of everything. Thanks for your help all.

I will try not to leave it another few years before my next thread post!

If switching off the boiler stopped the meter dials, then there isn't likely to be a pipework leak.

Did the boiler appear to be working correctly when it was powered up?

Whatever the result, please post up what the cause is in case anyone else ever encounters it. :)

If switching off the boiler stopped the meter dials, then there isn't likely to be a pipework leak.

Did the boiler appear to be working correctly when it was powered up?

Whatever the result, please post up what the cause is in case anyone else ever encounters it. :)

Boiler was working fine, lit up no problem etc. will certainly post the outcome. Thanks

The dials on the gas meter will spin when the boiler is firing, this is the meter doing its job of metering the gas usage.
If you've had the boiler off for a few hours to do the job then it'll likely be getting a demand as soon as you put the power back on so will kick in to life.

The dials on the gas meter will spin when the boiler is firing, this is the meter doing its job of metering the gas usage.
If you've had the boiler off for a few hours to do the job then it'll likely be getting a demand as soon as you put the power back on so will kick in to life.

I turned it off straight away the first time to check there was no obvious gas leak then left it a bit longer, a few minutes maybe. Should it settle down within a few minutes?

Only when the heating had been satisfied ,this would take a bit of time this weather. Did you try turning the heating off and just turning the hot tap on to see if it stopped spinning when you turned it off?

Also how did you check for gas leaks? I know a couple of ways of doing this. One has fallen out of favour these days as it is considered to be a tad dangerous, and the other should only be carried out by a Gassafe chappy.

Reply to Faulty gas meter? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net