Discuss Finding the right electrical course ? Over 50 and need some advice! in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello all, I am currently a site manager for a private school and although I enjoy the job it is only part time and I am looking to start out on a the path as an electrician.
I have the basic electrical knowledge but obviously lack the quals.
2 problems though -:
1) I am 52, so not a spring chicken :)
2) Funding a large sum of cash for a course could be a stumbling block.

Basically I am looking at advice on which course to start off with, probably just do domestic electrics to start with but progress to commercial eventually. I would also be looking to train without giving my job up and in a way that I could pay in stages.
Any advice would be gratefully received.
Thank you

Hi Chris I'm no spring chicken either & swapping trades on to hopefully becoming an electrician & going to college.

If you want to go down the commercial route then college would be your best bet as they do night school part-time & all will let you pay monthly.
There you will start from scratch on level 2 and then level 3 and from then it will be your NVQ.

unfortunately You May of missed the boat this term for college as most enrol Sept. might be worth ringing round a few.

Or you could go on one of these 5 week courses which do domestic installer set course but many experienced electricians on here don't recommended that route.

Best of luck

Last edited:
My local college tried to make me start on a level one course as I couldn't prove my maths GCSE grade from nearly 20 years ago.
I decided to go to a training centre instead which let me jump on to level 2.

My local college tried to make me start on a level one course as I couldn't prove my maths GCSE grade from nearly 20 years ago.
I decided to go to a training centre instead which let me jump on to level 2.
Thanks for the responses. I have had a look at the colleges around here but none offer any electrical courses! May have to try further away.

This one does it but it will be starting next yr

Wirral Metropolitan College - Electrical Installation Studies - R235 - https://www.wmc.ac.uk/construction-the-built-environment/172-level-2/3013-electrical-installation-studies-r235?occ=6653888

I think you need to be in the trade actively working first. Try advertising at your local electrical wholesalers for electricians labourer/mate. Try reading around the subject. If you do a course it is better to hit the ground running so to speak. Doing a course will introduce you to the trade but you will be hard put to translate this into practical action on the job. You really need to be doing day to day practice on what you will learn at college or it will not be grounded in reality and it will be hard going. That's my tuppence worth.

Reply to Finding the right electrical course ? Over 50 and need some advice! in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net