Search the forum,

Discuss Fire alarm in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

I'm probably going to get a -------ing for saying this, but I would strongly recommend not working on life critical systems unless you are competent in that particular sphere. I appreciate you are trying to do a favour, but you'll get no thanks in front of a FAI if there's a fire and somebody gets killed. I don't mean to be over dramatic, but I've been directly involved in such a scenario and believe me it ain't pretty (for you or anyone else).

By all means get quals and experience, but meantime don't take the risk!

i think you have 2 faults,the head i presume is a detector head that looks like the eol has been placed across the pair hence why your getting no zone faul with the head removed ,the sounder fault could be many things,you need to meter the sounder circs from the panel,10k eol for sounders.

so the sounder has a eol resistor or is that 10K measured at the sounder reading through the alarm panel and back, the head is on order to cure that side of things
Pict

so the sounder has a eol resistor or is that 10K measured at the sounder reading through the alarm panel and back, the head is on order to cure that side of things
Pict

10k resistor in last sounder,if a head had been removed due to false alarms,you may find the sounder has been too,if its a pub/club check the sounder in the stewards flat if it has one might have been dissed, try finding a sounder with 10k then work back,otherwise just check continuity from the panel to the first sounder then to the next etc

Right got it and I have just realised there is 2 sounders on 1 circuit so it starts to make sense also it helps if you forget its an alarm and work as if it were just another circuit
Pict

hi all iv started working for a new company as an electrician but they have sent me to try and fault find on a commericail fire alarm. theres a fault on zone 3 but its intermittent. i have never done work on alarms before but the boss says that they are easy. iv been back 2 times and cant find the fault any ideas how to go about fault finding on an alarm system?

Presume this a convetional panel, intermittent faults can be a pain, but your looking for an o/c or a short to give zone fault 99% of the time its going to be o/c ie loose connect on device. 1. put the end of line unit back in zone to test the control no fault panel ok. 2. start test the voltage on each device on the incoming only ie L1 in and L2. should be 24-27v. 3 check connections on that device. then replace and move on to next. 4. continue intill you find a device with no voltage. This is now the point were there is and o/c from the last device you tested to this one. So now you have a location check devices again, check for junction boxes, and cable damage. Hope this helps

Reply to Fire alarm in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net