Discuss fire exit sign in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

trickyb

Hi been asked to fix fire exit sign over door for emergency light (non maintined) am i right in saying this would need a designated ciurcuit to it from the consumer unit ? cant seem to find info in the osg :thinking:

As far as i believe it would need to be fed from one of the local lighting circuits in that area and in a cable of the same type, so that if the lights fail in an area you will lose power to the asscociated emergency lights and if there is a fire condition the cables will fail at the same times as well

Last edited:
If it is a maintained fitting then it can be fed direct for the DB via a test switch if it is not it should be fed from the local lighting circuit again via a test switch.

If it is a maintained fitting then it can be fed direct for the DB via a test switch if it is not it should be fed from the local lighting circuit again via a test switch.
if it was maintained or non maintained you would need a test facility so i would also fit the keyswitch upfront at the DB

geordies saying own cuircuit othes saying fed of local lighting cuircuits? Have i put a cat in amongst the pidgeons ? lol :thinking::20:
Look at it 1 way, i am taking it is a commercial installation, 1 local lighting circuit fed from say 1L1 and you bring your exit sign to the same area and stick it on 1L2, power cut on L1 and you lose your general lighting but your emg light is siting nicely on non-maint giving off no light with people staggering around snapping legs, or in a single phase view same setup again with a bit of damage given to your new emg light circuit which causes the MCB to operate (un-noticed as nothing else goes out), Ethel the manager does not notice the charge indicator failed, powercut again and possible carnage ensues.

Just my view, draw your own opinion, :83:

Local circuit and I always take it via a key switch to enable testing, without having to isolate the entire circuit.

Local circuit fails and the EML comes on simple. Even a maintained one will be taken from a local circuit too, but will have both switch and perm lives.

Reply to fire exit sign in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net