Discuss Fire panel supply in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

amicus

Hi all. Doing a PIR on a 2 story house converted to offices. The fire panel is fed direct from cu which is very close ,( no fused spur). If it is wired in FP and on its own unprotected mcb is this ok. Would the mcb need to be locked on? Thanks

Hi all. Doing a PIR on a 2 story house converted to offices. The fire panel is fed direct from cu which is very close ,( no fused spur). If it is wired in FP and on its own unprotected mcb is this ok. Would the mcb need to be locked on? Thanks

I'm not sure, i can make out what your so conserned about?? Also, what do you think a ''locked on'' MCB would achieve??

and then what would happen if there were a fault ?

As far as i can see, ... it's fine!!! ...Just don't lock the breaker in the on position!!!

Tel, ...the MBC will still trip locked on or not...
silly me. blonde moment caused by lack of alcohol.

i would prefer to see an unswitched FCU alongside the fire alarm panel, simply so as the alarm engineer would not have to access the DB to isolate the panel.

Last edited:
silly me. blonde moment caused by lack of alcohol.

i would prefer to see an unswitched FCU alongside the fire alarm panel, simply so as the alarm engineer would not have to access the DB to isolate the panel.

Sounds like the CU and FA panel is in the same location or very close to each other. Yes a dedicated FCU would have been a better option, but i can't really see a problem with this set up.

can't see any contravention of regs. panel has local isolation. just not usual practice

Been reading this thread looking for info.Working on site today and have been asked to change a fused spur to a red fused spur with neon,and a lock for mcb that supplies the fire alarm.The comissioner of the panel has asked for this.Is he going over the top.All labels are quite clear to show what is what.

6amp mcb,5amp fused spur at meter position and fused spur at fire panel about 15mtrs away.All labels in place.

Reply to Fire panel supply in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net