Discuss Fire Rated Down Lights in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Breezey

Hi guys,

First of all just want to say I'm not a sparky so go easy ha. Basicly I've just bought a new house and ant to fit some down lighters to one of the upstairs bedrooms, I've bought a LAP contractors pack of fire rated down lighters and bought some LED lamps to go with them.

My questions are do i need / is it worth getting fire hoods for them? if not can someone tell me the right amount of airspace to leave around the light? Also if i get fire hoods in particular the metal ones can the insulation be out back down on top as i don't want to compromise on the energy efficiency of my new house.

Last one, can someone recommend me a design for a 13ft x 11ft room I'm debating doing either 6 ( 2 rows of 3 ), 9 (3 rows of 3) or 6 ( 1 in each corner and 2 in the centre of the room).

Sorry for all the questions

Cheers

Read the instructions that are provided with the lights, they will explain everything you need to know.

If your in any doubt Im sure some on here will be more than happy to pop over and assist if required - post your location on here as well

A fire-rated downlight does not need a hood - that's why they're fire rated. As for the insulation, that's a different issue. You'll have to read the instructions for minimum ventilation space (though you could justify using your own opinion if you're putting led's in them as they don't get as hot).

Design is all down to the art.... suggest you check what the beam angles are on the bulbs you're using and start from there. My personal thoughts would probably be 2 x 3 but it's very subjective.

Brilliant thanks for clearing that up, ill consult the instructions for the gapping. Although i might be using LEDs i suppose if i ever sold the house some donut could install halogens. Ive no idea what the angle is on the lamps as i bought a pck off ebay for 30 quid (i know i know) will have to have a think about the design but thanks for you opinion.

I'd rig one (maybe 2) of the lights up temporarily (safely) and hold it near the ceiling to see what sort of beam spread you get. You'll be able to judge it from that. Although saying that you could always stick 40 of them in like people seem to do these days. Daz

He's on LEDs though. And doesn't know the angle either. Bit of trial and error and see how he goes maybe? Daz

Im using 4w SMD LED Lamps but there too bright too look at so thinking it should be enough.

Try looking at a standard bulb!

Downlights don't give the spread of an old fashioned light and IF you're thinking about dimming check your bulbs and dimmer before you blow something up!

what make are these bulbs?

If you dont know post the ebay item number - I might be able to find it on google.

Just looking most 4W LED GU10 bulbs are 40 Degrees angle

Last edited by a moderator:
Im using 4w SMD LED Lamps but there too bright too look at so thinking it should be enough.

4W SMD LEDs normally have a 120 degree angle. however they are not as bright as 35W halogens and the spread of light reduces the specific brightness at one point.

However with six 120 down lights the spread means that you get a significant overlap and should be OK.

my rule of thumb is to allow no more than 3'6" between LED downlights., and same spacing from the walls. that's using kosnic 5watt. so for a 18 x 11 room i would be looking at at leasy 12 fittings.

my rule of thumb is to allow no more than 3'6" between LED downlights., and same spacing from the walls. that's using kosnic 5watt. so for a 18 x 11 room i would be looking at at leasy 12 fittings.

Thank you for that, I have just spent half an hour planning out the layout and I get that the light at usable level for a 40 degree lamp describes a circle 3.62' in diameter! Experience does better than design!

Reply to Fire Rated Down Lights in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net