Discuss Firestick tv problem in the Home Media Centre Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

nickjett

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, ive got an old Samsung i think LCD tv, which ive connected my firestick to. It works ok once it decides to turn on, but to turn it i have to wait for 10 mins of the tv flicking on and off. I can turn it on without the firestick plugged in or if the tv isnt on the firesticks soucrce.

I have tried multiple hdmi cables and multiple usb leads to power the firestick, but still i have to wait for it to start up.

Another problem is, if i turn the tv off and leave the tv on the firesticks source. The tv will turn on about an hour later.

Not entirely sure, but does Firestick need or have option for external power?

Maybe there’s just not enough juice to power it on straight away taking power from usb slot.

The tv may have an option for waking from standby from another device. Might need to turn that off if the firestick is randomly telling it to wake up.

Just a couple of ideas.

Are you using the Firestick power adapter and supplied cable to give it power?
Sorry just seen little-spark's post above. Firestick is provided with a power adapter because some TV's cannot supply the necessary approx.1A From USB. That explanation could be the problem.

So yes the firestick has its own power source plugged into the wall. The setup is in my bedroom and i like to watch a movie before i go to sleep, whilst in bed. I know it sounds lazy but id rather not have to unplug the firestick to solve the problem.

So its not that the tv is having enough power to power the firestick...might have to get a new tv

How old is the TV?
it sounds like the Firestick is most likely trying to get the EDID data from the TV (Google EDID) each time it boots up.
If it can't get the data the TV will flicker and eventually the Firestick will boot at a low resolution.

First thing I would try is disabling CEC in the Firestick settings and in the TV setting I think it's called Anynet + on Samsung tvs.....
Basically CEC allows control of HDMI connected devices through the TV remote.
also manually set the max resolution in the Firestick to 50hz 720p as by default it will be set to auto...
See how it goes.

Last edited:

Reply to Firestick tv problem in the Home Media Centre Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net