Discuss First Aid in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has any funny stories regarding first aid training. I was asked to dothe course at my old department about 10 years before I retired.
I did the course with St Johns Ambulance service, lasted about 5 days with the exams / demos on the last day, you know the sort of thing, give CPR to a dummy and a pretend accident, did the dummy OK, and then it was my turn to deal with a real patient, mine was an old Chap who had picked up an electric drill and got a poke from the faulty appliance.
Now there were 5 people in the room when I entered, the patient the adjudicator and a spare person just in case I needed any help and of course me.
When I entered the room matey was on the floor motionless, "oh bloody hell I said (trying out my acting skills) what's happened here? unplugged the drill and did the necessary,
Thank you Mr Jones wait in the classroom, well pleased with myself off I went, got called back in and got a right rollicking from Mrs Jobsworth, did I know what I said when I entered the room," yes Oh bloody hell what happened here" I said, not really the done thing to use bad language when helping a patient, stupid Bint I thought wonder what she would have thought if it was for real, a bit riper than Bloody, needless to say I failed and a report sent to my head of department, never got asked to do it again.
Sorry for the long story.

Did mine in the heat of summer with the Red Cross all of us from the same firm laughing and joking, it was time for the six man log role I was in the middle and the "patient" was wearing quite baggy shorts needless to say as we rolled him he became "unharnessed" I coped the lot:eek:

Did a similar scenario many moons ago. Same thing but it was a dummy getting a shock with no means of isolating the power, there was a piece of wood however sitting handily nearby. First fella goes in and give him due used the bit of wood to release the dummies hand from the power I probably wouldn't have done. When done he comes out and tells us what happened and assuming he has done the correct thing, which he had we all did the same because the scenario was the same and we all passed. We found out later when you had done the test you should have left by another door so you couldn't speak to the others.

Something similar but not exact!
I have apprentices/students come to me in the workshop, holding their little pinky saying they have cut themselves. I have a look and it's barely a scratch! Now if we give first aid, we have loads of paper work to fill out etc, so I ask them if they really need a plaster on it, with a smile on my face. When they say yes, I explain that once I open the first aid box, an alarm goes off in the first aid office and then they will have to go to ER, just as a precaution! They look at me with a gaunt syair and I can see their mind working. Then they say, "it's only a scratch, no need for all that". So I give em some blue paper towel and insulation tape and jobs a good en.lol the first aid box has never moved from the shelf in over two years.lol

Jay

First aid courses are wonderful, I've done many and learned about dealing with all sorts of injuries and suchlike. Which is great in theory, but in practise there is a bit of a problem, I'm squeamish as hell and will faint at the first sight of blood!

Not quite training. I had an unfortunate accident with a power saw, nearly severing my thumb. After some apparently unconventional surgery, and a short stay on a ward, where I poohed the bed and thru up in the toilet completely embarrassing myself in front of the nursing staff, I was realised from hospital.

I returned to the hand clinic, a couple of days later. The surgeon inspected my hand, and was so impressed with his handy work, he asked me if he could get his boss. So while he was away, I thought I would have a look for myself. I fainted whilst sat in a chair in the cubicle! I could see legs going by and moaned for assistance.

Eventually a nurse came to my assistance, she said 'You looked at it didn't you, you stupid boy!'. She laid me out flat on a trolley, and not to look again. :oops:

Whilt working in Belgrade, I stupidly cut my thumb down to the bone whilst stripping some SWA, got taken to a clinic lovely Nurses and an old geezer who was the Surgeon 8 stitches without any anesthetic, kin painful

I had a Makita finger problem addressed and went back a week later to see Mr Quack who was pleased but in a bit of a hurry to remove the stitches. I'm sitting across the table, he starts to pull 'em, my other hand makes a fist, he stops and says "Mr W, would you care to take the stitches out yourself?" and promptly goes to next victim :)

Just wondering if anyone has any funny stories regarding first aid training. I was asked to dothe course at my old department about 10 years before I retired.
I did the course with St Johns Ambulance service, lasted about 5 days with the exams / demos on the last day, you know the sort of thing, give CPR to a dummy and a pretend accident, did the dummy OK, and then it was my turn to deal with a real patient, mine was an old Chap who had picked up an electric drill and got a poke from the faulty appliance.
Now there were 5 people in the room when I entered, the patient the adjudicator and a spare person just in case I needed any help and of course me.
When I entered the room matey was on the floor motionless, "oh bloody hell I said (trying out my acting skills) what's happened here? unplugged the drill and did the necessary,
Thank you Mr Jones wait in the classroom, well pleased with myself off I went, got called back in and got a right rollicking from Mrs Jobsworth, did I know what I said when I entered the room," yes Oh bloody hell what happened here" I said, not really the done thing to use bad language when helping a patient, stupid Bint I thought wonder what she would have thought if it was for real, a bit riper than Bloody, needless to say I failed and a report sent to my head of department, never got asked to do it again.
Sorry for the long story.
That's so typical of today's attitudes. Never mins about the actions you took just concentrate on saying the right thing. What a load of rollocks, like you say I wonder what she will say if she ever comes across a real life incident!

Not quite training. I had an unfortunate accident with a power saw, nearly severing my thumb. After some apparently unconventional surgery, and a short stay on a ward, where I poohed the bed and thru up in the toilet completely embarrassing myself in front of the nursing staff, I was realised from hospital.

I returned to the hand clinic, a couple of days later. The surgeon inspected my hand, and was so impressed with his handy work, he asked me if he could get his boss. So while he was away, I thought I would have a look for myself. I fainted whilst sat in a chair in the cubicle! I could see legs going by and moaned for assistance.

Eventually a nurse came to my assistance, she said 'You looked at it didn't you, you stupid boy!'. She laid me out flat on a trolley, and not to look again. :oops:

This story wins lol!

You big poof. What does "realised" from hospital mean?? LOL. I like the sound of this being laid out with a nurse though, but maybe not worth trying to amputate my thumb for..........

You big poof. What does "realised" from hospital mean?? LOL. I like the sound of this being laid out with a nurse though, but maybe not worth trying to amputate my thumb for..........

I think I might become a 'follower' just to see if you are 'holier than thou'. But then again, I think I'll not be arsed, with such nonsense, you big Gaylord. :)

Reply to First Aid in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net