Discuss Fixing wiring above suspended ceiling in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all

regarding securing cables above suspended ceiling. Is there anything against the regs from tie wrapping down a threaded rod to a light fitting. To keep it off the ceiling. This is run in FP200 so has earthed shield inside ?

Thanks for the replies, no support systems in the ceiling only have HVAC support systems, so was planning on running just using this system as it’s close to where the light will be getting installed and tie wrapping down the threaded rod with metal ties. Just didn’t know if this would be a good idea or not ?

if adequately supported and not subject to mechanical damage, should be fine. sometimes you just have to go with what you are given.

I'm just enjoying somebody intending to install cable properly above a ceiling rather than just slinging it across the tiles like most other Tuesday's.

I'm just enjoying somebody intending to install cable properly above a ceiling rather than just slinging it across the tiles like most other Tuesday's.

I did some work at a big leisure centre just before lockdown and pretty much every single alteration to the original wiring was slung in above the ceiling grid.
there was literally miles of flex & twin and earth chucked in resting on top of the grid. It was quite something and I’m just amazed the ceiling hadn’t collapsed under the sheer weight of cables ...

Thanks for the replies, no support systems in the ceiling only have HVAC support systems, so was planning on running just using this system as it’s close to where the light will be getting installed and tie wrapping down the threaded rod with metal ties. Just didn’t know if this would be a good idea or not ?
Fitting a designed tray system before the ceiling will often save time and money as well guaranteeing compliance.

Retrofitting tray for a single/few cables above a suspended ceiling is a right pain and will be cost prohibitive.

A few loops of strap banding off the original ceiling takes the weight off the susspended ceiling and provides against undue collapse in a fire, if your that way inclined.

Not pretty but does the job.

I've done the above to relieve some weight off a saggy ceiling, managed to get some degree of separation with data/fire/power as well.

Reply to Fixing wiring above suspended ceiling in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net