Discuss Forum Slow Speed? in the ElectriciansForums.net News and Updates area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dan

Staff member
Admin
Mod
Reaction score
You may notice that the forum lags a little at peak these last few weeks. Basically, we've outgrown our existing server. I ordered a brand new fresh one in November and we've been testing it and configuring it with the lesser important forums since then and we're ready to roll with it.

I've transfered most of the not-so-busy forums over to it, and I'm transferring tilersforums.co.uk as I type. So early next week I'll transfer the plumbing forum and then finally the sparky forum.

I'll leave all less server intensive static websites and blogs on the old server, and we'll just be running forums on the new server.

It has 16 x 512MB RAM sticks, and is processing PHP in 64bit. It's state of the art with all the bells and whistles (basically the most expensive / equipped server I could find from a decent host using a decent datacenter). We have experienced ZERO lag with the new server, it is only running at about 3% capacity. Our existing server was trying to run at 110% at peak which is why we experienced lag.

I personally apologise for this, I know it can be annoying, I should have been on top of this but the forums all just got a bit busier than usual the late part of last year and it surprised me how quickly we can outgrow what we had already which was actually the best I could get 18 months (or less) ago.

So hang in there, we'll be on the new server next week.

Then we'll be launching the forum apps, iPhone and Android on the main three forums (sparky, tilers, plumbers). Which will be free to use and have no adverts for the first 12 months. Then after then it'll still be free but might have adverts on it. I'll see nearer the time but I certainly wont be charging for it.

Reply to Forum Slow Speed? in the ElectriciansForums.net News and Updates area at ElectriciansForums.net