• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss Found a glitch with fern howards LED E/L in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

J.C.E

Electrician's Arms
CCTV / Alarms
So got given a e/l remedial job today in a old people home.

The Warden monthly checks the e/l using the key switch, and she reported the new Fern Howard LED emergency fittings that have recently been installed are not functioning correctly when she uses the key switch to test them.

So I tried the key switch, and the green neon goes off but the LED fitting stays at full brightness (they should go dim, and only a few of the center led stay on- in emergency mode)

I thought the wiring may be wrong, so swapped around the perm live and switch live, but this did not correct it!

After a bit of playing around, we found the key switch had to isolated the permanent live and the switch live from the led light for it to function correctly (green neon off, only center leds on)

previously is was wired:

permanent live to common of key switch then L1 to perm of led fitting and switch line from timer to sl of led fitting

I altered the wiring so now:
the perm live and switch line go to common of key switch then from L1 of key switch to perm and SL of led fitting

ian.settle1

Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
CCTV / Alarms
Trainee Access
A lot of LED emergency lights when they go into emergency mode still light all the LEDS

J.C.E

Electrician's Arms
CCTV / Alarms
might be then case, and whether they should or not I do not know...

but the fern Howard ones are not meant to, only the center 4 leds should light

J.C.E

Electrician's Arms
CCTV / Alarms
will let you know model no 2mos, but it is the fern howard LED gear tray 12w

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.