Discuss Frequency of tests. in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

entech

Hi all, what will be the frequency of testing for fixed equipment as stated in cop? It has stationery but not fixed items ie hand dryers?Also what exactly do they mean by initial frequency. Is this the first test after purchase.If so when is the next insp required??Last thing my supernova carries out an insul resist test as per the default programmed codes for IT equip, but the cop says not to do insul resist test on IT equip.Any help much appreciated.

I refer you to the COP definitions (P19) entech, "Stationary equipment or appliance ... Electrical equipment that is either fixed, or ... "
Initial frequency does mean the first test after being made available for use. The subsequent test intervals depend on a number of factors:- 1) The environment in which it is used. 2) Do the users of the equipment, self report faults or is it likely to receive unreported abuse. 3) The equipment construction, Class 1 probably requires more frequent testing that Class 2 because it's dependant on an earth connection to the installation. 4) The equipment type, hand held equipment is more likely to be damaged than a fixed appliance. Obvious if it's also Class 1 the risk is even greater.
Programme your Seaward Supernova to do a Substitute Leakage Test instead of an Insulation Test, or do the tests manually if it's just a one off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks , so the re-test dates are pretty much down to what the last person to test seemed reasonable. Just looking at p34 cop there are some items used by the public that have visual insp weekly!! That could be a hand dryer then???.I will look at the settings on my supernova for testing IT insul. But I'm pretty sure the default is insul res instead of touch current test. Still can't see why it's default set like that. Do you use a supernova mark??

Thanks , so the re-test dates are pretty much down to what the last person to test seemed reasonable. Just looking at p34 cop there are some items used by the public that have visual insp weekly!! That could be a hand dryer then???.I will look at the settings on my supernova for testing IT insul. But I'm pretty sure the default is insul res instead of touch current test. Still can't see why it's default set like that. Do you use a supernova mark??
Sorry I meant monthly visual insp on a public hand dryer.

Hi entech, yes I do use a supernova when PAT testing.
To edit the automatic test settings:
1) Highlight the Setup option on the Main Menu and press Enter.
2) Highlight Edit Test Settings and press Enter.
3) You maybe asked for your password (if you've set one) and press Enter.
3) This will allow you to Edit (add, modify, remove or confirm) the test settings.
4) The factory-set test sequences IT Equip 1 and IT Equip 2 both include an insulation test. I chose not to modify these settings, instead I chose to add two new test sequences IT Equip 1A and IT Equip 2A with a sub-leakage test instead of an insulation test.
Look at the factory set sequences first to get a feel of the system, it's fairly obvious how to add or edit the sequences. See how you get on setting up your own, any problems post again.

Hi Entech I have the supernova elite which came out in June 2010 which is the basically the supernova with RCD testing.
It does have the two IT test sequences with an insulation test but on my tester they have added two more test sequences which are not in the handbook.

IT EQUIP NO IN 1
Earth bond 100mA for 5sec 0.1 ohms pass and leakage for 5 sec 3.5mA pass

IT EQUIP NO IN 2
Touch leakage for 5 sec 0.25mA pass

hope this helps

Hi Entech I have the supernova elite which came out in June 2010 which is the basically the supernova with RCD testing.
It does have the two IT test sequences with an insulation test but on my tester they have added two more test sequences which are not in the handbook.

IT EQUIP NO IN 1
Earth bond 100mA for 5sec 0.1 ohms pass and leakage for 5 sec 3.5mA pass

IT EQUIP NO IN 2
Touch leakage for 5 sec 0.25mA pass

hope this helps

Yes i just looked at my plus and it also has the same settings as your elite programmed in.

Why did seaward put in an IT 500v ins res test aswell thou??

Reply to Frequency of tests. in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net