Discuss Full Domestic Test.. LOTS Of Questions in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

TPES

Sorry all, This is going to be a long one...

Maximum Demand... what’s my problem, im struggling to work this out, its taking me ages to figure this out and when i end up with a figure it looks ridiculously low.. Could someone give an example of how they have worked there maximum demand out?

R1+R2... Downstairs Lighting Circuit. I took readings at different pendants on the circuit, in the lounge there’s 2 points on the same switch.. one either end of the room, only couple of meters apart. One of the pendants read 0.47 and the other couple of meters away read 1.50 ?? is this normal?

I had a similar thing on upstairs lights 2 rooms backing onto each other, one reading 0.52 and other reading 2.08 have i got a fault somewhere or are these results acceptable ?

Also to get my Zs on every circuit im adding the highest r1+r2 and Ze together then putting result in Zs box, This is how many sparks i know have said its done, but a couple i know actually take Zs reading.. does it matter which method is done ?

Shower circuit.. IR test, Do you leave the isolator off as not to damage the neon in the pull cord, Or leave the pull cord on and IR test right up to the shower but NOT across L-N ?

Also on the shower when testing RCD trip times where are you sending the fault current from? take the lid off the shower or from the pull cord?

Ring Final Circuit... the ring is wired in VERY old stranded black red in pvc, looks slightly bigger than 2.5mm, then a separate single non-insulated earth running along side it to every point. My end to end resistance readings are r1=0.15, rn=0.15 then r2=0.07 ??, Why am i getting such a low r2 reading I wouldn’t say the earth is larger than live conductors. if not smaller then it would be the same size.

......The highest R1+R2 readings off the ring is 0.24, is this acceptable, seem ok?

IR tests on the ring i am getting L-N >1000, N-PE >1000, But L-PE 301, I know this is within the limits but why do you think it could be so low?

There is a twin socket radial straight from CU to behind the oven and gas hob, both these are just plugged on on plug tops.. Would you label this on the board and circuit name on a test cert as COOKER? Im guessing you would.. prob a daft Q

If there a 2 radials in 1 MCB how are you recording this on a test cert? One underneath the other on the cert given both the same numbers for its position.

Sounds to me like it needs a rewire.

Regarding breakers that have circuits which are doubled up, state it very clearly in the observations section, then record data on separate lines of the test sheet for each circuit, but identify the circuit positions the same. Basically, what you said.

Odd R1+R2 values could be due to loose terminations in accessories or even JBs above ceilings/floors.

Cheers.

Sid, please tell us you haven`t chosen this job for your Elecsa assessment :eek:

Previous posters thinking is sound on what it covered. The R1 + R2 readings are odd & definately not normal but still explainable (poor termination etc)

Re: max demand... tell us what ccts you have

Re: calculating Zs is acceptable, but if you have the capability i`d always suggest measurement. I`ve a feeling the man from Elecsa will think similiarily

Re: Shower. If you`ve installed it you should test it completely - that means disconnect neon if you have to & take reading from extremity of cct - that would be at shower itself (again disconnect neon in shower assuming it has one) If PIR testing then use your discretion.

Re: RCD test - can be anywhere on load side of RCD - so wherever most convenient for you.

Re: RFC testing, 0.24 is perfectly acceptable & your IR figures are ok too, especially considering your description of old stranded conductors. They`re not rubber sheathed are they :eek:

As said, sounds like it`s crying out for a rewire...

Re: Cooker. As they`re seperate i`d label them as such - "Oven & Hob" as it isn`t a cooker is it!

Last edited by a moderator:
No No No... this is deffo Not my elecsa job!!

I know this install is in a mess, This is my uncles house, the board was a right state and not labeled up. so ive tried to test the house and tidy it up abit.

There is..

1 X RFC
1 X RADIAL (Oven + Hob)
1 x RADIAL 2 X D/SOCKET
1 X RADIAL (fcu for combi boiler)
1 x SHOWER

Upstairs Lighting circuit
Downstairs Lighting circuit

No No No... this is deffo Not my elecsa job!!

Phewww! :D

& Sid, we`ll need numbers mate. You know, In`s - protective device ratings :rolleyes:

If you want to keep the main switch rating a secret til the end, thats cool. It`ll be fun guessing if we`ve worked out the diversity low enough :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Full Domestic Test.. LOTS Of Questions in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net