Discuss Fuseboard Relocation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Stuuk1

Hi again,

I have already posted this tagged on to the end of a previous thread but don't think anyone saw it so posting it in a brand new thread.

I'm buying a new house very shortly and her is a big question I have!

The incommer to the house is one of those on the outside wall with a door for access.

The existing disboard is within 3 meters of that in what can only be described as a ridiculous place and not where I will be wanting the new one installed, it is directly above the front door boxed in with little cut outs for access to the main switch and the rewireable fuses...

Am I able to install a double pole 100A (or whatever size the incoming head fuses are) breaker and then wire away in 25mm cabling contained in plastic copex approx 10 meters to the cupboard under the stairs? I've asked a few people and they all said 'cant see why not' but at the same time weren't sure!

The copex would be routed from this breaker (which would obviously be accessible and within 3 meters from the head) under the 1st floor floorboards to the cupboard.

Thanks in advance!

you need to fit a 60A or 80A fused isolator at the meter.

That's a nice job. Rerouting and extending all those circuits. I take it you won't need to bury that copex in the wall anywhere.

I'd check with the dno, because they all have different criteria regarding lengths of tails from meter unless switched fused isolator is installed.

as loop says,what about all the outgoing circuit cables that are at the present board?
a suggestion
get another outside box and fit it next to the existing one
stick a new 17th board inside it(if theres enough room sideways)
that way the outgoing cables might be long enough to rech the new c/u

Make sure tails are more than 50mm from any accessible surface or you would need 30mA RCD protection as over 3 meters.
As said above - use a 60A and 16mm tails (if u can)
Extend all ends of circuits to new CU and install there.

Make sure you dont have any borrowed neutrals or anything that could cause a big problem!

Just wondering are you an electrician? If not dont forget this is notifiable and you will have to go to LABC (normally about £120) or an electrician could do this if they do the work.

Looks like a nice job - good luck

Sorry I perhaps didn't explain my situation too well.

Been an electrician for roughly 10 years in an industrial/commercial sector.

This will be my first real experience of domestic wiring... It's not a problem, my knowledge just falls foul of the regs associated with domestic.

The main reason I say 25mm tails in copex is because I have these in abundance ;) so this will keep the cost down nicely.

The house will be fully re-wired. The old wiring and disboard will be recovered and binned. Therefore my only worry is the new tails from the head to the new board position...

I have a friend who can Part P it for me and I shall sign the construction part of the certificate.

I really don't want to start cutting a new box in to the outside wall so what are my options inside?

I was hoping I'd just be able to do what I said about in the original post about the double pole breaker. I'd rather go OTT on the tails (25mm instead or 16mm) as I always go larger if possible and seeming as the cable is free anyway... To me it's a no brainer.

This is a silly question but when you say notifiable, I have no idea what this means haha! Why is it notifiable?

I just want to throw some cables around and get on with my life... ;)

Thanks for the replies so far!

"I have a friend who can Part P it for me and I shall sign the construction part of the certificate"

Wrong, only the part p registered electrician can sign off their own works, if you want to carry out your own works on your domestic property you must inform your LBCA pay their fees and they will inform you how to get the works tested

This may be why there are no other replies :(

you may be able to buy a lengh if concentic cable and run it from the existing outside box in PROPER ducting to your new position but it would have to have a new head on it at the new position, you would have to have a new glass fibre box for it to go maybye a surface one?
the electic company would have to make the connections from and too- the meter would be fitted at the new position
thats what i used to do

Reply to Fuseboard Relocation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net