Discuss Garage c/u Tripping in House in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all looking for some advice working on a job adding on a couple of sockets and spurs for w/m.& heat / co alarm to existing c/u in garage which is getting supplied by 10mm t&e from house c/u on its own garage c/u 40a mcb anytime the washing machine gets used it is by passing 12way wylex c/u and tripping the garage c/u in the house all circiuts are testing fine iam lead to believe the 10mm T&E is undergroud in ducting everything is working fine until put some kingd of load on ie w/m kettles .any ideas would be much appreciated thanks.

What's tripping? MCB or RCD.

Could possibly be a loose neutral on the supply side but that's a pure guess.

Hi all looking for some advice working on a job adding on a couple of sockets and spurs for w/m.& heat / co alarm to existing c/u in garage which is getting supplied by 10mm t&e from house c/u on its own garage c/u 40a mcb anytime the washing machine gets used it is by passing 12way wylex c/u and tripping the garage c/u in the house all circiuts are testing fine iam lead to believe the 10mm T&E is undergroud in ducting everything is working fine until put some kingd of load on ie w/m kettles .any ideas would be much appreciated thanks.
Can't make any sense of your post, might make more sense if you post a diagram of what you have

until put some kingd of load on ie w/m kettles

This is the important bit. If heavy loads cause a trip, especially if the load is not on the RCD that trips, it suggests an N-E fault downstream of the RCD.

Are you saying there are RCDs in the garage AND the house? If so, then it's not that anything is 'bypassing ' anything, it's just that with 2 RCDs in series there is every chance that both will trip. Apologies if I've misunderstood.

I think a picture of each board would help a lot here

Also how are you adding new sockets without an Rcd in place and making it complient?

I think a picture of each board would help a lot here

Also how are you adding new sockets without an Rcd in place and making it complient?
The Main switches are getting changed to Rcds the Garage 1 is a wylex 12w split board and the house 1 is Single main switch and 1 40mcb this is the orignal installation thats Tripping before i update it cheers.

Pictures?

MPS nobody is trying to trip you up here. It would truly be useful

My bad for assuming an RCD was present! The cause of a 40A MCB tripping should not be too hard to find...

I assumed RCD tripping also. Didn't think it would be the 40A MCB.

I attended the exact same fault a couple of days ago. Two faulty sockets, replaced, fault disappeared. While it was ok with low draw things anything like a hair dryer of hoover tripped the MCB. Two different socket circuits doing the same thing. Cheapo sockets, arcing due to loose connections in the socket, pays to buy quality.

Reply to Garage c/u Tripping in House in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net