Discuss Hager Low noise contactors in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

ed-ectrician

A client has a bloody loud (solenoid clicks and also a progressively high whining sound which makes it sound as if it's about to go off pop!) hager contactor switching his underfloor heating (primary heat source for whole flat - all on one stat - do what?!) It is a 40a 3NO contactor. ES 340 is the model.

I looked online for low noise hager ones and I found the following (Hager 2 Module 4NO Contactor 20A 230V 50Hz, ESN420)

This one is 4 Normally open instead of 3 - dont see why this should pose a problem. Just use 3 of the four poles right? Or am I being thick. Havent used contactors much and college is a fairy distant memory now - "you dont use it you dont remember it" - it is a single phase load.

Has anyone used these before? Do they really work in keeping noise down?

Thanks

Ed

Contactors like anything else mechanical wear and do get noisy. Go in to an old switch room with 200+ contactors and it gets very noisy.
As you say just use three of the four contacts and you'll be fine.

Gone are the day's when contactors were totally serviceable, with literary every part/component replaceable. Now if contacts become burned, spring become weak, coil open or burned, they tend to be throw away jobs!! lol!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all, sounds like it's old and tired. When things get old and tired they complain more I suppose... (is that how this forum keeps going?!?!)

I'm replacing and I may as well try a low noise one. I'll let you know how i get on.

Thanks all

Ed

Reply to Hager Low noise contactors in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net