Discuss Hard Wired Smoke Alarm - Certification in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

claret73

The searches I found from the forum didn't conclude what I am needing to know, so hopefully people will be able to assist me.

We have just finished a domestic extension. The customer has had a large utility room added to the side of the house, along with a new kitchen & updated living room. The lights & power are fed of a sub board, so new first & second fix for these areas. There is now a hallway off the utility leading to the living room. We were asked by the builder to install a smoke detector in this hallway. We fed it off the newly installed lighting circuit. Since finishing he's had the building inspector in & they asked for a certificate for this. We certificated on the Electrical side but do not know about certificating for 1 smoke alarm off the existing light circuit?

It is not interconnected to any others. They already have other interconnected detectors on 1dt & 2nd floors. The property is a 3 storey house, not rented, a family home.

So, question is have we not complied with 5839 Pt.6? I spoke to the firebrigade. Somebody whom trains & assesses commercial premises for fire risk assessments etc. He said it doesn't cover domestic & the Fire reform order 2005 does not stipulate installation requirements. We have complied with building regs. Although NICEIC Tech line said we did need to certify??

Any suggestions?
Thanks Guys
Andy

We're based in Birmingham.
I've just had a nasty thought or rather observation...(after looking at Building Regs)

The alarm we put in on the ground level is not interlinked with the already installed detectors on the first & second floors (Think second floor is a loft conversion into bedrooms). I'd imagime this isn't right from a common sense point of view? Fire at ground floor does not trigger detectors above.

I'm the Sparks Mate still doing 2330 so until this came up I haven't read into too much detail about these requirements as yet. College skim over Fire installs due to 5839 Regs...
I'll take your response though of having somebody design & commission. I'm sure now after this he'll be interested in doing the same. Any chance of contact details if he's close to Midlands region?
Cheers
Andy

Hi

The system you have installed does not comply with LD1, LD2 or even LD3, you must interlink with three cores to the other smokes. It will still not comply with LD2 but you could certificate it with LD3. A modern system should have a low-level control point, but I would concentrate more on interconnection and certificating to get it completed.

The smoke you have installed should have battery back-up and be compatible with the other smokes. You can get a certificate from one of the major suppliers, i.e. Aico and kiddie most likely of their websites.

Regards

The detector does have a battery backup...
Concerns now rest on interconnection!! Apart from spending the 200 quid on 5389 are there any more references to compliance with detector installs. I'll look at Aico site too.
Thanks for all responses Lads
Andy

i have just fitted the wireless system in a flat.

Normal smokes, then you buy the wireless base.

As long as you can get a feed to the second detector from a local lighting circuit it should be fine.

The detector does have a battery backup...
Concerns now rest on interconnection!! Apart from spending the 200 quid on 5389 are there any more references to compliance with detector installs. I'll look at Aico site too.
Thanks for all responses Lads
Andy

http://www.------.org/publishing/wiring-regulations/mag/2005/17-firealarms.cfm?type=pdf

Thanks again Jason
Spent some time on Aico site & will call for product info. Printed off some stuff to read for myself at the moment. I think the Interconnection might not be too bad?? The detector we installed is on the ceiling below the 1st floor landing, so if we can get a 3 core up to there then up to next ceiling height it may the way to comply as Electro states to LD3...

Everything on that job was an afterthought by the building contractor. I know it doesn't take away our responsibility, but no information was passed by Architect, no specification to us by anybody just some hashed up copied plans on fixing points for accessories. (Smoke detector not highlighted until we'd finished first fix!)

What I am learning is there's a bloody lot of info to take in to ensure compliancy...so for me, even though this looks like it's a potential disaster (albeit will & can be put right at minimal expense) the info I'm reading up on helps me loads as College do not give you this amount of detail.

Therefore I'd like to Thank all the info given by yourself, The Moderators & all the other Guys...it's a learning curve & a half but on here I learn HEAPS!
Cheers
Andy

No problem Andy, thats what we are here for. The link I gave you is direct to the IEE Pdf on Fire Safety.

I use the Aico's and the radiolink are superb. About £25 - £30 for a base though + the detector. Just remember to keep away from the ceiling rose 300mm minimum if you are picking up power from them.

Good Luck

Dave

Thanks Daver
Took a look at that also...
Seem to have the minimum info for now, so will follow up to AICO & Pass this on to the Boss...don't wish to ruin his weekend yet...
Cheers again

Reply to Hard Wired Smoke Alarm - Certification in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock