Discuss Amend a Part P certificate for smoke alarm minor works? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

michaelg5

Hi Everyone,

I have been a long time lurker round the forums but could now do with some advice. I have recently started my own business after being in the trade for 20 years. Most of my recent experience has been on commercial projects so I am a bit rusty when it comes to Part P. I am awaiting my inspection to register on a competant persons scheme so that I can self certify, however I have just been asked to finish off a domestic smoke/heat alarm installation that was initially done by someone else. Basically, the previous sparks fitted 2 No. interlinked smoke detectors and also wired a point for a heat detector in the kitchen. For what ever reason it was not required by building control, so the cables were made safe and the detector never fitted. Now, due to a change in layout, BC have now requested this be installed, which is where I come in. Job is straight forward, but BC have asked for the Part P certificate to be amended. What I was intending to do was fit the detector and test all 3 and issue a fire detection in dwelling cert. Do you think this would be acceptable? Why would the part P cert need to be amended as this is surely only minor works?
Any advice, info or experiences would be greatly received.

Thanks
Michael

true, but the installation of the circuit has to comply with BS7671.

I still don't see how the Part P cert has to be changed to add a smoke alarm??? What a numpty inspector.

Advice to the OP - issue a MWC for the additional alarm - that's all you can do.

The installation of a smoke alarm system LD3 or such requires seperate certification to a minor works or electrical installation certificate
There are simple and basic domestic fire alarm certificates available that are correct for the work proposed
What in heavens name a part p certificate(whatever that is supposed to be)has to do with smoke alarm systems I don't know
There is a mix up on the building inspectors brain that is asking for something that is neither sensible or allowable

I have a job to fit 8 smoke alarms in a 2 up 2 down council house, Building Inspector says it must be notified, I argued that there is no reason it needs notifying as not in a special location and it's not a new circuit, taking feed from regularly used lighting circuit. He has gone away to check whether needs notifying!

I have a job to fit 8 smoke alarms in a 2 up 2 down council house, Building Inspector says it must be notified, I argued that there is no reason it needs notifying as not in a special location and it's not a new circuit, taking feed from regularly used lighting circuit. He has gone away to check whether needs notifying!

unbelievable

I have a job to fit 8 smoke alarms in a 2 up 2 down council house, Building Inspector says it must be notified, I argued that there is no reason it needs notifying as not in a special location

How the hell are there 8 places to put smoke alarms in a 2 up 2 down, especially if there's not one going in either the kitchen or the bathroom? Hamster cage? Airing cupboard? The mind boggles.

What in heavens name a part p certificate(whatever that is supposed to be)has to do with smoke alarm systems I don't know

I am assuming Der Bildüngubergrüppeninspektiönführer is requiring that the work is notified, and it is irrelevant whether it is a smoke alarm, light, sex toy charging station or parrot perch warmer, and very relevant that it's a modification in a kitchen, which requires LABC notification. Just my 2p's.

How the hell are there 8 places to put smoke alarms in a 2 up 2 down, especially if there's not one going in either the kitchen or the bathroom? Hamster cage? Airing cupboard? The mind boggles.

Well there is now the attic as well, plus one in the landing below, one in the living room, one in the front hallway, one in the two bedrooms and changing room, and one above the first floor stairs!

Absolute overkill. Totally ridiculous, but they need the BC cert! He still hasn't come back to me on the notification, hopefully as he has learnt the error of his ways!

Reply to Amend a Part P certificate for smoke alarm minor works? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net