Discuss Hardwiring a smart doorbell in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello. I’m trying to hardwire a smart doorbell but have no idea how to bypass the existing bell chime (the new doorbell has its own chime box plugged in elsewhere). I’ve attached a photo of the component in the existing bell chime. At the doorbell itself there is one of both the orange and blue 2 core wire which I assume doesn’t require anything to be changed.

Any ideas?
Thanks

Attachments

• FC73B600-519F-4DDE-8EDD-9B57CC9E0378.jpeg
    235.8 KB · Views: 18
Looks like one cable with orange and blue cores paired is from a transformer and one from the push. By linking the blues you cam extend the transformer feed through to where the push was.

I think taking a blue/white and an orange/white as being the same cable…. One pair comes from the power supply, perhaps a transformer at the mains…. The other pair goes to the push button outside.

What you have there is a combined battery box and chime.. so if you had batterys there, you wouldn’t need the transformer.

The orange likely the feed from the transformer, connected through here, on to the push button, then back here, connected either side of the chime, and back to the supply.

For your smart doorbell to work, you just need the correct voltage.
Link through the 2 x blues as well as the oranges. Keep those separate.

Remove the outside bell push and replace with the smart.

I think taking a blue/white and an orange/white as being the same cable…. One pair comes from the power supply, perhaps a transformer at the mains…. The other pair goes to the push button outside.

What you have there is a combined battery box and chime.. so if you had batterys there, you wouldn’t need the transformer.

The orange likely the feed from the transformer, connected through here, on to the push button, then back here, connected either side of the chime, and back to the supply.

For your smart doorbell to work, you just need the correct voltage.
Link through the 2 x blues as well as the oranges. Keep those separate.

Remove the outside bell push and replace with the smart.
You’re right, there is a transformer elsewhere attached to the mains. So just connect both blues to the same point in the bell unit and leave the orange where it is? Does it matter which one I move? So the blue wire from point 2 to 3 or vice Versa?

I'd probably disconnect them from the old chime entirely and just join both blue and orange through with Wagos.

You could use the terminals of the chime as a joint, but if you get the wrong ones, the chime will just ring…. Constantly!

As above, y use WAGOs or any other type of connector… blue to blue, orange to orange.

Looks like phone wire was used instead of bell wire originally.

Reply to Hardwiring a smart doorbell in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net