Discuss Having issues and need some advice. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

oldgregg

DIY
Reaction score
I just had the electric company at my house to check the power lines coming to my house. Nothing is wrong on their end. The problem is that every time the air conditioner compressor turns on or off, it causes my TV to flicker off for a fraction of a second. The air conditioner is on a different circuit than my TV, and it doesn't just do it when that one a/c kicks on and off, it also does it when the bedroom a/c unit kicks on as well. I did have an electrician check my breaker panel, he didn't dig deep into it, but he did check to make sure everything in the box was tight. Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated.

momentary voltage drop when the A.C. kicks in, as the start up current it far greater than the rated current, just for a split second. Your TV sees this dip and reacts.

momentary voltage drop when the A.C. kicks in, as the start up current it far greater than the rated current, just for a split second. Your TV sees this dip and reacts.
The one ac unit is on its own 220v circuit, and the other unit is 110v in the bedroom. The TV is in my living room. What could be the reason the voltage to my TV drops that much? When the power company came out, he did a test that drew 800 amps from each line coming into the house and had no drop at all. So I would only guess that something in my breaker box is possibly worn out or going bad. Would you have any ideas as to what could be causing this.

Could be a loose connection somewhere, maybe in your distribution board.

I just turned on the baseboard heater in the living room which is also on its own 220 circuit, and the TV does the same thing. I did just turn on and off all the bedroom 110 a/c units, and the TV did not flicker at all. So possibly my assumption of the bedroom also causing it could very well be wrong.

still stick with my theory that heavy loads will drag down the supply for a few millisecs. when starting up.

I just turned on the baseboard heater in the living room which is also on its own 220 circuit, and the TV does the same thing. I did just turn on and off all the bedroom 110 a/c units, and the TV did not flicker at all. So possibly my assumption of the bedroom also causing it could very well be wrong.
listen to @telectrix because any time you have a big load start up you are going to have some type of flickering.

Reactions: DPG

Reply to Having issues and need some advice. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net