Discuss Help, half of receptacle not working in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

kylec121

DIY
Reaction score
Hello, I have a question regarding half of my outlet not working. First off it is not a switched outlet, it is a single outlet circuit providing power for the Central AC Unit. It is #10 Aluminum with a 20amp breaker. Using a circuit tester both plugs on the outlet are showing as wired correctly, using a Klein mm100 both plugs are showing 120-121 volts, (tested from hot screw to neutral screw, hot screw to ground screw, and hot to neutral inserts on the outlet) after removing the wall plate the tab on both hot and neutral side are still intact, however once I plug an appliance into the top of the outlet I receive no power but when plugged into the bottom of the outlet the same appliance actually works!! Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. It is as simple as being a bad outlet that I just need to replace? it just doesn't make sense to me that if it was a bad outlet would it still be able to provide the voltage and register as being wired correctly on both the top and the bottom plugs yet not deliver any power once it has something plugged into half of it.

Thank you for any of advice!

If one side of a twin outlet works but the other doesn't then the outlet will be at fault and need replacing.

A voltage can be present with no load connected but disappear when load is connected if there is a poor connection. Or the springs which make contact with the plug are weak/broken so that voltage is present at the terminal screws but doesn't get through to a connected appliance.

Ok thanks Dave sparks for the advice, today I will Work on pig tailing then installing the new outlet!

If one side of a twin outlet works but the other doesn't then the outlet will be at fault and need replacing.

A voltage can be present with no load connected but disappear when load is connected if there is a poor connection. Or the springs which make contact with the plug are weak/broken so that voltage is present at the terminal screws but doesn't get through to a connected appliance.

Hello, I have a question regarding half of my outlet not working. First off it is not a switched outlet, it is a single outlet circuit providing power for the Central AC Unit. It is #10 Aluminum with a 20amp breaker. Using a circuit tester both plugs on the outlet are showing as wired correctly, using a Klein mm100 both plugs are showing 120-121 volts, (tested from hot screw to neutral screw, hot screw to ground screw, and hot to neutral inserts on the outlet) after removing the wall plate the tab on both hot and neutral side are still intact, however once I plug an appliance into the top of the outlet I receive no power but when plugged into the bottom of the outlet the same appliance actually works!! Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. It is as simple as being a bad outlet that I just need to replace? it just doesn't make sense to me that if it was a bad outlet would it still be able to provide the voltage and register as being wired correctly on both the top and the bottom plugs yet not deliver any power once it has something plugged into half of it.

Thank you for any of advice!
Kyle it’s not unusual for the power coming is is terminated on the top part of the receptacle it could be wired to the bottom screws, which explains why the bottom works and the tops not. All you need to do is change the receptacle

Reply to Help, half of receptacle not working in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock