Discuss HELP, testing near Slough. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Sparky28

Hi all,
I have recently completed an Installation near Slough that requires a cert, before I get a barrage of abuse I am a qualified electrician, I work on trains so I'm a bit out of touch with regs.

I did have someone lined up but let me down :-( If anyone would be interested in testing the install and wants any info on the install please feel free to get in contact.

Sensible replies only please.

Cheers

Certifying (EICing) someone else's work is the numero uno cardinal sin in the electrical world. I can't imagine you're going to be receiving too many offers. Sorry.

Thanks Heisenberg and archy for quick reply, I can understand it being a sin, but can't see the problem if I was willing to show every electrical connection, containment which is surfaced mounted, and circuit design etc? Surely if passes the tests (which I have done) then why would anyone be worried??

Archy, the owner of where the job is done has notified council and they have done their inspections etc as units were built from scratch.

Thanks Heisenberg and archy for quick reply, I can understand it being a sin, but can't see the problem if I was willing to show every electrical connection, containment which is surfaced mounted, and circuit design etc? Surely if passes the tests (which I have done) then why would anyone be worried??

As you've already done the work, and from what you say, some testing. Why not simply notify LABC yourself and get them to come and inspect it? Or is it because of what they would charge you?

Heisenberg, excuse my ignorance, not sure what labc is or what they would charge? I quoted £150 per cert, 6 required, one for mains board, 1 per unit x4 (4 circuits each) and an outdoor area. Sound reasonable?

Are these units dwellings?
If not, ignore the Part P nonsense.
And we've gone full circle, you want someone to issue EICs! :)

+tion...

Only thing I can think of is, you get someone to help you with the I&T and you sign the EICs.

Heisenberg, excuse my ignorance, not sure what labc is or what they would charge? I quoted £150 per cert, 6 required, one for mains board, 1 per unit x4 (4 circuits each) and an outdoor area. Sound reasonable?

LABC = Local Area Building Control.

What exactly do you mean by, 'I quoted £150 per cert'? Does that include the actual work undertaken or simply the paperwork that is required to go along with it?

Archy, have to excuse ignorance, they are classed as temp structures, with, ring main circuit, radial circuit and a lighting circuit. How would I do eic's cheers

Hi all,
I have recently completed an Installation near Slough that requires a cert, before I get a barrage of abuse I am a qualified electrician, I work on trains so I'm a bit out of touch with regs.

I did have someone lined up but let me down :-( If anyone would be interested in testing the install and wants any info on the install please feel free to get in contact.

Sensible replies only please.

Cheers

Sorry mate but I simply don't believe you. If you "had somebody lined up" to sign it off you must have known that this was a requirement.

Murdoch, what is there to believe? I know the installation requires certification that's why im trying to get it done properly, my fault through going through a friend of a friend :-(

Thanks Archy, just making sure that I'm ok to sign it off, I've only got 2351 and my jib card is that sufficient to sign a job off??

Hmmm....
I'm being wary now, don't want to say you are OK to do it when I don't really know anything about you.
I get the feeling you're unsure about I&T, so I'm sticking to my previous suggestion that you get someone else in to help and you sign the EICs.

(I'm off now)

Archy, can understand your concerns, just after re assurance I think, like everyone when they have done something this big for the 1st time,.

Followed on site guide inspection and testing and carried out the tests, even paid for the test equipment (£500+ :( ) so hopefully you can see I want to do it right :)

If you are qualified and have tested your installation can't you complete the EIC yourself? Complying with part P is another matter, but I should think building control will advise you what your options are if you call them.

Reply to HELP, testing near Slough. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net