Discuss HID Gearbox Problem in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Brad_88

240V into gearbox and 120V output on lamps that works. The lamps that are not working are 240V input and 240V output. The gearbox is REBUS R35GB.

It may be me missing something here, but I don't understand the question - could you clarify? Daz

At a guess I think the OP means Robus control for HID lamps used for display lighting (Also used for growing things :sifone:sometimes).

HI Brad can you confirm if you mean Robus?

Are these 35w HID display lighting for commercial use like shops etc.

Last edited:
Ah, missed the 'HID' bit. Was concentrating on 'gearbox' and getting confused! Daz

At a guess I think the OP means Robus control for HID lamps used for display lighting (Also used for growing things :sifone:sometimes).

HI Brad can you confirm if you mean Robus?

Are these 35w HID display lighting for commercial use like shops etc.

These are a pain in the --- once they start going, just change them at the first sign of problems. Ive got one shop that has about 40 down lamps fitted and every morning when they switch the lights on there will be some lamps that don't start up but the next day those ones will and then others won't as if they don't ignite first time the ballast shut down.

Also you can't really check the output voltage as the tridonic ones we use output around 5kV, we just substitute parts as i keep spares on the van.

Going in to change 10 ballasts and lamps at this shop on tuesday night as they want to do it in batches for cost.

Thanks for replies I meant robus and not rebus. Yes they are 35w lamps and it is in a shop.some of the lights are working some are not. Do you think it is easier to just replace the individual gearboxes. Is there a way to reset the ballasts if they don't ignite first time or am I totally missing the point here.thanks for the quick replies btw

Yeah just replace the individual ballasts, you reset the ballast by turning off its power supply, whether that's by a switch or by the breaker. Also if you turn off the power while the lamps are hot (switched on) then power them back up you have to wait for them to cool before they switch themselves back on, it sometimes takes up to ten minutes for all of them to come back on.

Found this out when I turned some lamps off in a busy shop once to change a couple of lamps then shat myself when they didn't come back on when I turned on the breaker!

just swap the complete gear box saves fafing around
they cost about £35.00

Sorry just realised these power two lamps, I'm used to one per lamp which is why i said change the individual ballast.

I get the 35w tridonic ballasts for £10 each

** edit **

Just googled the R35GB and it just looks like it runs one 35w lamp anyway, just looks like a standard hid ballast to me although Robus call it a gear box

Last edited:

Reply to HID Gearbox Problem in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net